The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS T51R Kai

pedrosixfour

Wouldn't really be chasing huge numbers Luc, the rest of my drivetrain would more than likely start suffering at the kind of power and torque figures the Getrags and matched diffs are used to seeing.

If I said an upper limit of 600-650bhp is all I would ever need from a turbo. There are no big power circuits here in Ireland, my car is geared to 155mph flat out and even with 1000hp I'd never see that speed at the tracks here. A big dollop of mid-range "oomph" would serve me better I think.

I thought the T51r Kai was the smaller turbo, the SPL being the big boy. That said, it's pretty old tech so I assume you will be buying it for the sound ?

Never realised the T51R had such a cult status for the sound alone, until I started doing a bit of searching. My list of priorities wouldn't include the noise it makes TBH.

No, the reason this particular snail popped onto my radar is because it is part of a 1JZ specific kit that is for sale here in Ireland. 1JZ manifolds aren't as common as the 2JZ equivalents, so when one does present itself as part of a single kit I try to take a measured look at the consequences of buying said kit.

Ah Ok, they are like hens teeth; the 62R is the holy grail of HKS series

Might be worth looking into the fitment, I think it might be a VBand setup , HKS and 6Boost as far as I am aware only make manifolds with a VBand fitment for the 2JZ but I am sure a member on here with one can clarify

Ah Ok, they are like hens teeth; the 62R is the holy grail of HKS series

Might be worth looking into the fitment, I think it might be a VBand setup , HKS and 6Boost as far as I am aware only make manifolds with a VBand fitment for the 2JZ but I am sure a member on here with one can clarify

It's a VBand mounted turbo alright, comes with a HKS manifold too, apparently. But, looking at a picture of the set-up, the mount looks a bit like an add-on.

I'd imagine the VBand mount fairly limits the choice of other turbos that can be used with the manifold?

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

It's a VBand mounted turbo alright, comes with a HKS manifold too, apparently. But, looking at a picture of the set-up, the mount looks a bit like an add-on.

I'd imagine the VBand mount fairly limits the choice of other turbos that can be used with the manifold?

Looks a bit odd alright , Tial do Vband Stainless Steel housing so in theory you could make any Turbo Vband fitment ; Owen Developments use it alot

Looks a bit odd alright , Tial do Vband Stainless Steel housing so in theory you could make any Turbo Vband fitment ; Owen Developments use it alot

Got a few more pictures sent over to me. Really not as keen on it now, the manifold was definitely a bolt-on type mount before, but a VBand mount was welded in place on top of that and the T-type mount was ground back to match the outside diameter, so the turbo would be sitting higher than it should on the correct manifold, which could be a problem.

The T51 is a 72mm turbo iirc.

If my goal would be a track built Supra with your specs and power goals, I would go for a smaller turbo .... my personal choice would be a Gen2.

I'll keep looking so Luc. I don't really fancy a turbo that only comes to life at 6k rpm and then tries to kill me before the redline!

Thanks for the input one & all.