The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How long till "the greens" get us?

herbiemercman

I keep seeing more and more about the hideous self drive cars and electric cars, all major roads and M/Ways with average speed cameras etc. Most of this SH/one/T is coming from beurocrats who have chauffers or take the train, they now want a train which will get them to Manchester from London 20 minutes faster, it costs 54 billion, meanwhile our roads are full of pot holes and the M6 and M25 need another deck on top for just cars,they are now just car parks, only 20 billion, this would delight millions of motorists and not as with the new train just a hand full of people, also when they arrive in Manchester for a meeting in Bolton the time they have saved on the London to Manchester super train run is lost, as the journey to Bolton with mega log jam roads is 45 minutes. lol.

However i digress slightly, back to my question, will the greens force us to lose our mega grunt gas guzzlers? Some rumours are that we will be limited to 1.5k miles/yr, or heavilly road taxed.

What do you think? Herbie.

Not any time soon, unless the lunatics manage to elect the green party (but if that happens we'll have bigger things to worry about than our cars). I think there will be somewhat of a push toward incentivising people to buy electric within the coming decades, but I can't see them outlawing or limiting ICE cars, it's easier and better to just wait for them to exit circulation naturally. I think it'll take another 10-20 years for the majority of new cars to be electric, and by that time they will probably have shrunk the batteries to the extent that they don't weigh 3 tons and can go around corners.

People worry about all this "go green" stuff, but there's nothing preventing me from buying a TVr Chimaera 5.0, decatting it and taking it to my local circuit to burn some petrols and tyres

On the other hand the enviro-mental-ists have now given me the ability to walk into a dealership, and come out with a big, expensive German GT car that does 0-60 in a few seconds thanks to its twin turbo petrol engine... But average about 36mpg. BMW 640i coupe... I plan to get one depending on Mazda MX5 RF prices...

There has been a lot of talk for years about cars being made greener and whacking tax up for thirsty beasts,however,thankfully manufacturers are still making quick cars,just a bit cleaner than they used to be.Sadly I don't think future generations will have the same driving fun we have had.

I have thought about this too. Putting so much time, energy and money into a car in this country is a worrying prospect. Already, it's a lot to ask to go out for a spirited drive without get stuck in traffic and the government really do hate the motorist. Everything is big brother with average speed checks, have-go speed enforcers with dash cams and hidden speed traps... it's a nightmare. I fear my Supra will be a rather large ornament in my garage in 10 years.

Hi bigsupes, i agree with you, but it could be less than 10 years, unless we get out of the EU law system. The UK would be a better place if we had a pop of 35 mil, instead of the growing current population at 65mill, roads in Lancashire and roads south of Birminham are now car parks most of the time, it only needs a truck driver to fart and we have a 20 mile tail back, like some one said we have to enjoy it whilst we can. Herbie.

Although I'll be voting 'out', I can't help but feel our democratic system is merely an illusion created to keep order. Whatever we vote, whoever we vote into power, the end result will be the same. For example, if the West are hell-bent on mass population replacement (which they seem to be for unknown reasons), outside of taking to the streets and storming the houses of parliament, we do not have a choice in the matter. It's already done, unfortunately.

Guest Budz86

A solution if I may; Syvecs with fuel flex that allows you to run ethanol, which is a renewable biofuel. My little bit for helping the environment 😉

A solution if I may; Syvecs with fuel flex that allows you to run ethanol, which is a renewable biofuel. My little bit for helping the environment

Problem is most ethanol is made from sugar cane which requires huge areas of forest to be chopped down to grow. So it's probably less harmful to just use petrol.

In my big Merc i make my own fuel additive with cetane and mineral 2 t oil, circa 120ml cetane to 100ml 2t oil, this is in a 80lit tank, i get mega quieter engine, more response and 4 mpg, which is about 67 extra miles on a full tank, i am not doing that for the greens, i am doing it to make my engine last longer and run better.

The formula came from a German Scientist on my Merc site, apparently the 2 t oil gives back the lubrication which the removal of all sulphur from the diesel has taken away, the cetane changes the valancy of the fuel, (makes the oxygen molecules interact more readily with the hydrocarbon diesel fuel).

Everything has a carbon footprint apart from, wind gen, tidal gen,sun panels and nuclear. Herbie.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)