The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello...Just picked up first Supra

blert596

Hi,

Just thought I'd join the site as I have just picked up my first ever Supra today and am still buzzing. Fell in love with the looks years ago and have eventually got one of my own. Well chuffed today.

Anyway I may be posting in the wrong place really as Im unsure if mine is deffo a mark 4 or not. Hope you guys can help. Also as its a Jap import maybe a few other things you could help with.

Firstly its a 1994 3.0i non turbo (sz?) automatic. I know the manual is probably a better option but as I said, I bought it for its looks really, not to boy race it all over town.

Most pressing questions are about the buttons surrounding the selector:

1. The overdrive button? Normal motorway running is it better off or on, and what difference does it make. Didnt appear much as I was messing with it.

2. Ditto the manual button

3. What exactly is the red button at the front of the selector?

All instructions are in Japenese and unfortunately that wasnt a subject when I went to school.

Any info on the bodykit type would be appreciated as well if you can. Heres a pic or 2 anyway.

76_0.JPG

0c_1_b.JPG

95_1_b.JPG

c7_1_b.JPG

1. The overdrive button? Normal motorway running is it better off or on, and what difference does it make. Didnt appear much as I was messing with it.

2. Ditto the manual button

3. What exactly is the red button at the front of the selector?

The Overdrive button stop the box changing into top gear (4th)

Manual button (pretty much) stops it changing gears itself, you have manually change gear by moving the shifter.

The red button is so you can take it out of 'Park' without the engine running if you need to.

Nice looking car! :thumbs:

Forgot to say:

The bumper is a Bomex one. Same as used in TFATF

The skirts are Toyota JDM optional extra ones. Often (wrongly) reffered to as TRD ones by newbies.

Have you got a better picture of the rear? Looks like the spats are missing.

You might want some spotlights for the bumper and maybe some facelift style indicators would look nice too.

Thanks for the reply jake.

So:

1. Overdrive selected (on) if I want to "thrash it a bit"?

2. How does this work when driving as I certainly dont want to pop it into 2nd or reverse with the shifter.

3. Ok, so I'm never likely to be using this hat much then.

You can prob tell its my first automatic. Just getting rid of a Prelude 2.3i 4ws.

Is the body kit type any good or poor (I like the look not sure of quality though)

Is it worth getting a different exhaust can from the stock one. Apart from the looks what does it give me (better "roar"?). And are there any recommendations? I would like to make the car as nice as I can now that I've eventually got one but am seriously not mechanically minded

When you press Overdrive button it will say "O/D Off" (or something like that) in yellow on the clocks. Use it anytime you don't want to car to keep going into 4th gear.

Even in MANU mode it still won't let you put the car into too low a gear. You can move the lever to 2nd or first gear but the box won't actually change down untill the revs are low enough for it to do it without damage. Clever isn't it?

The skirts should be good quality as they're presumably genuine Toyota items and made of urethane rather than fibreglass. The Bomex bumper is fibreglass but at least 90% of aftermarket bodykits are also.

Has the car got rear spats to match the side skirts?

Changing the exhaust will make the car sound better but I believe you can't really do all that much to increase the power of a non-turbo Supra. TBH it's not really my subject though mate, I've not owned an NA yet.

BTW, Yes it's a MkIV

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Welcome dude, good to see another Scottish member. If you feel brave, there is a Scottish meet coming up in a week and a half:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=31990&page=3

Ref the meet. I live in Arbroath anyway so its no big deal for me to get to Dundee (apart from Dual Carriage way upgrade). :banghead:

Followed the link but when is the meet, and what time etc.

I have a bad feeling your going to say 27th which is when Im away.

As I said earlier I dont really do/know anything mechanical and it would have been a good chance to at least figure out what half of the abbreviations on here mean :(

Anyway, if you can confirm the date it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Once again thanks for all the nice comments.

Getrag, sorry but can,t make the 26th as going to Cardiff to watch Liverpool in the Carling cup final. Games on Sun but booked hotel already...damn!! As an aside, havent got a ticket yet if anyone knows anyone.. :thumbs: But at least I will be driving down in my new Supe.

As for shiny car...not at moment after the drive from kent to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Am tempted to put it through carwash tonight. Any real objections to this? Advice on how to get the best "gleam" would be appreciated as will have to have it looking its best for next wekend. Also any recomendations on good dash sprays to get a more glossy look.

As an aside, as I took my old car to the airport and my bruv in law flew to Kent with me (he knows a bit more bout cars than me). Anyway, the insurance was changed to the Supra at 12pm but he was driving it to his house after I drove back to the airport. Unfortunately he got pulled for speeding and has to show docs to police station. Does anyone know if I present my old insurance cert (valid till 7th April) the police will check up?

Feel a bit guilty but I had said that I would drive it. He's used to an MPV so was delighted to be getting my Prelude 2.3i for a bit.

Once again thanks for all the nice comments.

Getrag, sorry but can,t make the 26th as going to Cardiff to watch Liverpool in the Carling cup final. Games on Sun but booked hotel already...damn!! As an aside, havent got a ticket yet if anyone knows anyone.. :thumbs: But at least I will be driving down in my new Supe.

As for shiny car...not at moment after the drive from kent to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Am tempted to put it through carwash tonight. Any real objections to this? Advice on how to get the best "gleam" would be appreciated as will have to have it looking its best for next wekend. Also any recomendations on good dash sprays to get a more glossy look.

As an aside, as I took my old car to the airport and my bruv in law flew to Kent with me (he knows a bit more bout cars than me). Anyway, the insurance was changed to the Supra at 12pm but he was driving it to his house after I drove back to the airport. Unfortunately he got pulled for speeding and has to show docs to police station. Does anyone know if I present my old insurance cert (valid till 7th April) the police will check up?

Feel a bit guilty but I had said that I would drive it. He's used to an MPV so was delighted to be getting my Prelude 2.3i for a bit.

Blert- regarding car washes.........go NOT do it.......jetwash is fine.........carwash rollers and brushes are a definite NO NO.

If you are after a good gleaming shine, check out the shampoo i have for sale in the For Sale Section.

Made mine look like this...........and i am a valeter :p