The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Larger brake discs on the rear. Is it safe ...

mclarenross

I know that some say that you should aim for the same size disc on the front and rear,

but my question is if I have 356mm on the rears, do I "need" to have 356 or bigger on the front? I'm looking at some high quality 330mm on the front and just want to make sure I'm not doing something that is unsafe...

I would appeciate if the advice/ comments are from someone that understands brakes and what is safe/unsafe, will they lock up, will it become twitchy etc

thanks

Considering the stock uprated brakes have 323mm front and 324mm rear (I think) you'll be fine

The brake surface of the fronts is significantly larger than the rears even though the disc size is larger on the rear remember the rear discs have to enclose the handbrake mech and shoes.

You can get away with UK fronts and J-Spec rears but as far as mixing and matching goes once you uprate a set of rears you to the size your talking about you would need to correct the bias to stop the rears locking up first (instability)

Equally so uprateing to let's say brembos up front and Uk rears May not cause instability but may cause underbraking of the rear end which will actually translate to an increased stopping distance over say a full UK set up.

Basically don't mismatch non oem callipers and if you do fit aftermarket make sure they are methodically matched for best performance.

Everybody knows somebody with a large set of fronts and stock rears I'm not suggesting it doesn't work merely it may not be as effective as well sorted matched stock units.

Big brakes are pretty though.

Everybody knows somebody with a large set of fronts and stock rears I'm not suggesting it doesn't work merely it may not be as effective as well sorted matched stock units.

Agreed, but one known exception is Brembo F50 calipers with 355mm discs on the front with stock UK rears. I've run that setup, and Bignum runs it now, and it's definitely superior to UK'S in all respects (other than cost, which is why I stuck with UK's this time) :)

Agreed, but one known exception is Brembo F50 calipers with 355mm discs on the front with stock UK rears. I've run that setup, and Bignum runs it now, and it's definitely superior to UK'S in all respects (other than cost, which is why I stuck with UK's this time) :)

I was going to mention F50s as I looked at them and loads of people run them up front with UK rears.

I just didn't bother as Ross only has large rears by the sound of it.

What brakes do you currently have exactly Ross and what are you looking at?

You need to consider many things. Total caliper piston area front and rear, disc diameter, but more importantly effective pad area and effective pad area OD and ID front and rear. Pad compound front and rear. Master cylinder bore size, servo effort. It's complex, maths will get you a long way to a workable package, but even so sometimes you screw up and end up with too much braking effort on one end or the other. You really must aim for a goodly amount more front effort or the set up will be dangerously bad. You are far better following trid and tested combinations or just buying a kit. If you don't have machining facilities for brackets and bells definitely buy a proper kit!