The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good Day "working from home" today...! Plastidip front lip, Rear brakes, cleaning :-)

Sheefa

Hi all

As some of you may know I was made redundant after 10 years in my job (I preferenced it so all good) and am going to be leaving the company this Thursday (gardening leave for 1 month too). So, today I decided to have one of my very last "WFH" days with current employer and it was as productive as ever........:D I'll miss them days....

The front lip on my car, Whifbitz one I think, was looking pretty damn tired and chipped to hell so I decided a refurb was in order. I hadn't tried plastidip before and read mixed reviews, however given its durable nature and rubber like coating I thought I'd give it a whirl. I have to say I am mega impressed. It's come out an absolute treat after 4 coats (30mins between each) and a final thick coat left for 4 hours to cure. We'll see how long it lasts but as I said very happy with the Matt finish.

Pics of the prep and final outcome are below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=210256&stc=1&d=1458677647

attachment.php?attachmentid=210257&stc=1&d=1458677647

attachment.php?attachmentid=210258&stc=1&d=1458677647

attachment.php?attachmentid=210259&stc=1&d=1458677647

attachment.php?attachmentid=210260&stc=1&d=1458677647

I also managed to finish painting my rear Calipers with the Foliatec brake paint in Carbon grey. This stuff is awesome and looks like OEM finish and is really easy to apply. Decals also applied. Now sitting pretty, although I have purchased new front and rear UK OEM discs and Porterfield Street pads which I shall install next week with the help of Glanza_Mike to finish off the setup ;) Big difference!

attachment.php?attachmentid=210261&stc=1&d=1458678251

attachment.php?attachmentid=210262&stc=1&d=1458678251

attachment.php?attachmentid=210263&stc=1&d=1458678251

attachment.php?attachmentid=210264&stc=1&d=1458678251

Then a little OCD has grown on me by a fellow supra owner so I began cleaning up the front bumper chassis area behind the Intercooler plate, no photos of how bad it was but trust me it was dirtier than Britney Spears in her prime. Now all cleaned up :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=210268&stc=1&d=1458678747

attachment.php?attachmentid=210267&stc=1&d=1458678747

attachment.php?attachmentid=210268&d=1458678747

attachment.php?attachmentid=210266&d=1458678747

Also managed to fit a new aux/fan belt as my one has some chaff-age, albeit quite cosmetic and must of been caused by debris in a pulley or something.

attachment.php?attachmentid=210269&d=1458678747

I then gave some of the chrome bits and piping a good polish. Thanks to Rob Mitchell for recommending that Kleers! That stuff is awesome :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=210271&d=1458679225

attachment.php?attachmentid=210272&d=1458679225

That's it for now. Got quite a few things to do before the car goes to SRD in the next month.

Cheers

Greg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

Lip looks great mate :) The good thing with Plastidip is that if you end up with a few more chips, you can just spray a bit more over without needing to mask it up, and just rub off the excess. :)

Exactly Jason, really easy to apply and the drying time is damn quick!

As always prep is everything and I washed the lip a few times, then went over it with Meguairs all purpose cleaner and finally alcohol wipes. Made the whole application a lot easier and smoother! Thanks mate :)

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

These little tidy ups make the world of difference! What did you use to clean up the slam panel area and side bits where the wing bolts onto? Mine are absolutely filthy as well. Looks like you've done a pukker job

Thanks mate. I used Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner and Brake Cleaner, then the Kleers metal/chrome polish on the shiny bits. All came up a treat.

I'm glad my ocd is rubbing off on you mate :D looks great :)

It sure is!

well done mate

Thanks bud. Hope you're well?

I may have missed this but did you uses primer? i made the mistake of not doing and it peeled. if you used primer then it will definitely last

No primer needed mate as far as I can tell and from previous threads etc. I'll see how it lasts over the next few months after some hard driving :)

Looks great. I'm really not a fan of plastidip but it does have its uses, and it has stood the test of time on my centre caps, over the last couple of years. Looks great on the lip. Great work

Thanks Jake.

That's given me a bit of motivation to get out and spend some time cleaning my bay over the easter weekend :) looks great Greg

Cheers Jim, it's not bad weather for it hopefully either! Highly recommend the Kleers stuff. ;)

great job, lip looks great as do the breaks :thumbs:

Cheers Matt.

You don't use primer with plastidip

Exactly, came out perfect on mine and will see how long the finish lasts.

Looks like a productive day!

Looks great!

A tough days work gentlemen indeed! Thanks.