The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My custom headlight build; Q45, Abflug, Halo digital dimming circuit

Noz

Making a thread for this, because it's turning into such a big project. I've been working on bits for a while, just not posting much. Time for a new product.

Lights; pre-facelift tatty resprayed internally.

Objective; Delined, Abflug inserts, q45 infiniti unit, fog light side light halo

Electronic system; Will be wiring so bumper mounted LED side light and halo will both dim when indicator signals. Much like the new Audi / Range Rover series. I will do this with timing crystals and simple relays. I will more than likely use the Arduino circuit board which uses nice and friendly C language for programming. Just set up some digital inputs from the 12v indicator feed, then a delay once it's cancelled.

I think I need to take the lense back, I got a bit excited to polish now I need to take it back. Didn't remove all the scratches.

Got myself a nice 3" pneumatic polisher too. Takes the hard work out of it.

Using an electric sander for the rough work, but it doesn't get into the edges. Not sure how that'll work.

I will be opening up the main beam unit for the q45 and then blending it into the lense. The q45 unit is a dipped beam only, so I may remove the beam reflector out of the dipped beam to make this the main beam as I don't want to lose that feature.

Here's some initial photos of my progress.

20160302_204138.jpg

20160302_205222.jpg

20160305_210803.jpg

20160306_091618.jpg

20160312_175320.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=210243&d=1458590037

20160312_180510.jpg

Properly internally cleaned unit vs how it arrived, rough!

20160312_175320.jpg

20160312_184014.jpg

20160313_133259.jpg

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Ive been looking at the auto dimming in regards to the DRL's too. Are those CCFL rings for the Halo's? Look awesome. Got to say, im not a fan of those Q45 units though. Seen it done before, just not my cup of tea - can appreciate all the work thats gone into it though! :thumbs:

No idea what the halo unit will be mate. Haven't got them yet, only spec'ed the sizes.

The Q45 is definitely a different taste, just thought I'd try and stand out as I'm going OEM style front end.

How have you done with the dimming circuit? Found any examples?