The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just fabricated a harness bar for the taller owners

johnd-mkiv

Been looking at harnesses for my supra but having the problem of mounting them in the rear, a standard harness bar is no good for me as my seat is touching the rears and reclined a fair amount. Been messing about with designs in between work and finally finished this one which I'm happy with.

The brace Picks up off original seat belt mounts with two sweeping bends that sit the bar further back and two adjusterble rose jointed tie rod ends mount to a fixed bracket on the rear middle seat belt point for added brace. If enough interest and ok with mods I'll consider making more as a group buy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by johnd-mkiv (see edit history)

The fabrication looks of excellent quality, as has all your other work you have previously posted.

However, and I'm not trying to piss on your parade, but I'm unsure aluminium is the right material for such a safety critical component? That would certainly not be allowed in a race car where harnesses are mandatory. Think of the force that the mass of two big blokes would exert on that in the event of a sudden stop.

As said I'm not here just to piss on your parade, but if you sell this to someone and it doesn't do it's job, someone could get badly hurt. Maybe an idea to get one tested? (Sorry if you already have, in that case please dis-regard this post)

The fabrication looks of excellent quality, as has all your other work you have previously posted.

However, and I'm not trying to piss on your parade, but I'm unsure aluminium is the right material for such a safety critical component? That would certainly not be allowed in a race car where harnesses are mandatory. Think of the force that the mass of two big blokes would exert on that in the event of a sudden stop.

As said I'm not here just to piss on your parade, but if you sell this to someone and it doesn't do it's job, someone could get badly hurt. Maybe an idea to get one tested? (Sorry if you already have, in that case please dis-regard this post)

Understand your concern, this is a thick wall ally tube that I'm using, having read up on safety regulations for competitive use all ally roll cages are prohibited. I'm a coded welder to a 6g standard I can make these bars from mild steel and stainless but will look into having some testing done, just emailed a couple of companies that are involved with this and a local firm we use to certify all our lifting gear.

I can get these powder coated in basic colours £40 a set the only red he does is Ral 3020

Not had any response from safety people yet, the only test certification you will have with these are with the welding, due to the concerns of using ally mild steel or stainless will be advised but I'm confident in my design to keep in my car. Of a mod will allow a group buy on these I'm happy to sort out a batch deal

Regards

John

What are these made out of?

Metal wise...

Sorry just seen.. Alloy.. Way to soft even despite it being thick wall.

You need to use rollcage spec CDS or T45 for anything like this.

Maybe also reinforce the top anchor points, there would be a lot of stress going through those in the event of an accident.

Small gussets would help massively.

attachment.php?attachmentid=210292&stc=1&d=1458748391

I personally would never install a harness bar in a car without it being part of a roll cage.

To protect yourself I would say that you should state for off road use only & have some sort of disclaimer in the event of an accident as they dont have the best saftey record.

I am also not trying to pee on your parade, however standalone harness bars are simply not that safe.

I am just saying make sure you protect yourself if you produce a product like this.

additional.jpg

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)