The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Radiator advice needed

adam1983

Not a great day with the car today but what's happened has happened so need to get it sorted.

Whilst fitting a hose back onto the pas reservoir I must have caught my arm on the hose which attaches to the radiator next to the rad cap and it broke off. Typical really that I managed to cause myself a different problem whilst fixing another.

For the time being I have managed to super glue the piece back on but I'm going to hazard a guess that it won't last for very long when the engine is turned on. As I haven't got around to finishing what I was originally fixing which was flushing the pas fluid I was wondering if there was a temporary fix that is better than my super glue fix.

The reason for this is because I need to run the engine to flush the pas fluid which would have been my next step until this happened.

So my first question is as stated: are there any decent temp fixes until I can get a new radiator ordered?

Second question: are there any radiators available that will fit straight on without having to fit an additional auto cooler? If not does anyone know the current going rate for a new unit from Toyota.

Cheers

Do you have an aluminium upper radiator hard pipe fitted?

Nic it's not the pipe going from the engine to rad. It's after the rad cap on the other side going from the rad to the overflow tank.

The bit that's snapped off is the plastic tube that the hose goes on to

Ive got a tt auto rad. Sitting in garage was fine when it came off. Jus got a mishimoto one on now.

May take you up on that offer. Need to find out what the size and weight limits are to BFPO addresses. I'm currently living out in Cyprus at an army camp and only Royal Mail can deliver here to the BFPO.

Nic it's not the pipe going from the engine to rad. It's after the rad cap on the other side going from the rad to the overflow tank.

The bit that's snapped off is the plastic tube that the hose goes on to

Oh right, it's the small plastic tube to the overflow tank, in that case you may get away with bonding it. If you roughen up the plastic area with sand paper, clean with white spirit and leave to dry, you could then use some epoxy resin glue to build up and reinforce around the joint, it's not really under much load so may hold together fine until you can replace the rad.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Oh right, it's the small plastic tube to the overflow tank, in that case you may get away with bonding it. If you roughen up the plastic area with sand paper and then clean with white spirit, you could then use some epoxy resin glue to build up and reinforce the joint, it's not really under much load so may hold together until you can replace the rad.

Yeah I'm hoping that is the case until I can get a replacement. The car won't be driven anyway as the pas fluid needs changing or pas pump replacing.

Cleaned the pas reservoir out the other day and was putting it back in ready to flush the system with new fluid. Just my luck that I somehow managed to snap the bit off the radiator.