The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help me decide

Guest JonnyBCK

Guest JonnyBCK

hello

Names Jonny and im from Buckie in the North East of Scotland

Always been a fan of the supra but never really considered owning one until now. Currently own a R35 GTR and a Evo 9. Im selling the Evo 9 which i had advertised at around 12.5K. A friend of mine has offered me a swap plus 1k with a 95 Supra twin turbo manual 2JZ imported by him with just 36k miles on it.

I would post pics but im offshore, the car is black with metal flake through it. It has a bodykit and huge wing on it which i dont like. It would become a project but i guess i really need to know what its worth?

Its been sat in a garage a while aswell not because of issues think its just because the lad has other cars he prefers to use.

So do i go for it or not is the question really? Does anyone see these things holding there value well? I see the r34 gtr is at 30k for a half decent one but supras have never really moved in value lately.

Welcome :) Supra market has gone up hugely in the last 18 months, a nice twin turbo manual with no shit kits, spoilers or Rotas will run you an easy 16k, last year it was an 11 grand car. The market is certainly on the up where as the R34 GTR market has remained pretty static at around 30K.

Good choice keeping the R35, Im a recent ex R35 guy myself. If your friend has offered you his Supra for your Evo, take it. The Lancer will only drop in value, the Supra will only go up providing theres no nasties hiding under the gay kit.

Ill say a stock body, 6 speed, standard twin turbo in a good colour is a valuable car, return it to stock, enjoy the drive and the financial benefits

Guest JonnyBCK

Just the work involved in putting it back to a standard look is scaring me along with issues i come across if i do take it on.

One thing i was going to ask was because it has this metal flake paint work it will be very hard to get a colour match so i was contemplating taking it down the vinyl wrap road rather than a labour intensive respray, has any one done this and got a rough idea on price or would a respray be the better route to go, the car was originally black before aswell

Are standard kits for these easy to get hold of? Ive read the buyers guide so will check that off when i see the car on tuesday. The engine code on the cam cover is 2jz gte is this the most desirable of them?

If it's a factory twinturbo 6 speed you are indeed getting a good deal, providing it's in good condition with a decent book of history.

Returning it to standard should be easy, and fitting of the panels once painted is an simple job providing the current kit isn't blended.

Just finding the oem front bumper which may hold you up.

As for vynl wrapping I personally wouldn't bother, easy way to shout that the car is hiding somthing in my mind, they also look no where near as good as a professional paint job, quick way to cheapen a stunning car. Do the job once and do it properly Imo.

Good luck with your decision, and get some picture up of the supra we may be able to spot anything alarming.

And finally Welcome to the club :)

I would be a little less eager to swap just like that. Firstly how good is your friend? And what condition is your Evo in? Will it get you £12.5k or is that optimistic (I've no idea!?)

The price seems ok on the face of it but it massively depends on the condition of the Supra, that extra £1k will be gone in a flash on stock body parts and fitting, then potential £3k spray job if the fleck has to go. This is assuming no mechanical issues.

Low mileage isn't always a plus with a car, lots of parts could be on their way out simply because

they're 21 years old.

How long has it been in the UK ?

Personally i'd want it on a ramp to have a good look underneath but then Im just very cautious

when it comes to buying cars.

Guest JonnyBCK

My evo needs attention i initially was asking 14 but wasnt getting much interest. A lad offered me 12.5 so thats why i mentioned it as hes coming on thursday but then i got offered this. I understand its going to cost a fair bit to put rite but if it was worth the effort and i wouldnt lose much id probably take it on. Its an experience after all and i get to play with probably one of if not thee most iconic cars of japan

The car was imported around 10 years ago ive seen and heard it in the flesh but that was around 4 years ago since i last saw it.

Rust will be a big no no for me i will try and get it up in the air for a look underneath not sure if its been undersealed and we are on the coast.

Im a marine engineer so not afraid of oily bits and getting stuck in with the tools

As the guys have mentioned above, you could have a few bob to spend on the car if you don't like the current kit and the flakes. I personally would say re-spray everytime if you are looking to keep the car.

Stock bumpers are available new with all fittings from Mr T for around £600 (discount at each dealer dependant), sill trims side vents and hockey sticks (plastic trim that finishes off the arches, will set you back £100-£120 used but can also be purchased new (from memory).

If you have access to that ramp, get the car in the air and have a good look underneath, if the cars been stored then it might be in better shape than a driveway ornament, but it all depends of the condition of the storage area also.

I'd check the rear quarter panels behind those spats as I've seen a few Sup's begin to rust there, also check the rear tailgait where the screen meets the seal.

Check the maintainace record for the car and see if your friend has replaced item in recent times, if the crank pulley has not been changed them factor this in, as units are starting to fail and can cause massive damaged to the engine.

Suspension components can become tired with time (not only mileage) so take this into consideration also.

Hopefully this helps a little and doesn't put you off as you could have a really nice car in your hands with a bit of work. If you become a member then you will have access to the classified sections, to find parts and make a wanted add :thumbs:.

The members are a decent bunch here, and very helpful. The Scottish lads and myself are always around to help if you need a help inspecting the car :).

Registration number: BRZ9744

Vehicle makeTOYOTA Vehicle modelSUPRA Date first used1 January 1994 Fuel typePetrol ColourBlack

MOT history of this vehicle

Test date26 May 2011 Expiry date25 May 2012

Test ResultPass Odometer reading35,543 miles

MOT test number2193 4604 1406

Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Test date19 May 2011

Test ResultFail Odometer reading35,543 miles

MOT test number2256 7993 1424

Reason(s) for failure

Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)

Rear fog lamp missing (1.3.2a)

Offside rear brake binding (3.7.B.1)

Offside front brake binding (3.7.B.1)

Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Test date24 November 2008

Expiry date23 November 2009

Test ResultPass Odometer reading32,545 miles

MOT test number4410 0962 8446

Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Inner Front Ball joint has slight play (2.2.B.1f)

Test date15 September 2006

Expiry date14 September 2007

Test ResultPass Odometer reading27,061 miles

MOT test number9610 6855 6295

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest JonnyBCK

Wow didnt know you could get that info from just the web! Thanks for that, doesnt put me off that much for a 20 year old car that is not too bad in my opinion but least il know what to look at closer during my inspection but in all seriousness having owned an evo i know that was just a money pit how bad are these cars for upkeep and failures? Ive heard the engines are fairly reliable even when highly modified?

What do yous reckon of the pics?

Is the yellow hazin. Of the headlights cureable?

Guest JonnyBCK

Thats what he said yeah. i doubt its far off that because well in 2011 it had 35k and like i say i havent seen it in 4 maybe it was 5 years. Il get some more detailed shots when i see it on tuesday

Guest JonnyBCK

[emoji38] yeah think 90% of the toon selled up for corsas since the oil crashed. Ive kept on my feet though, if i take the car al defo look at future meets, this month me and the GTR are doing one of the pure rallye drives so unfortunently wouldnt make that

[emoji38] yeah think 90% of the toon selled up for corsas since the oil crashed. Ive kept on my feet though, if i take the car al defo look at future meets, this month me and the GTR are doing one of the pure rallye drives so unfortunently wouldnt make that

Yeah that sounds abou right, if you have a look at the WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING then that should help you out, if not I'm sure a local member would happily have a look over it for you :thumbs:

Photos are quite encouraging, wheels look like expensive and sought after bss, engine bay looks very standard and clean.

See if it's got it's cats in place, find out if it's been run over stock boost. When you look under it, check the sills, there is a vertical strip about 1cm deep that runs from front to back, it has notches in by the front and rear wheels to indicate the temporary wheel changing jacking points. These can often be folded over by garages over the years and can be where rust sets in first. To be honest very few supras have much more than minor surface rust, very few threads on structural rust (I'm struggling to recall any to be honest!).

Look from behind and up and you should see the diff, at the rear it has two mounts in the rear subframe. Look closely at the rubber sections, they should be in very good shape with no cracks at that mileage.

Look into the front bumper drivers intake at the intercooler condition, those fins take a battering, but again it should be in good shape for the miles.

Look down and right in the oil filler cap with a torch, you'll see the cam and cylinder head the more silvery aluminium the better.