The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6266 journal oil restriction

JackyBoi

I've been doing a load of research in regard to oil restriction on a Precision 6266 journal bearing, and once again I've come across two contradicting opinions:

1. an oil restrictor is NOT needed for this turbo;

2. you MUST use a 0.065 restrictor to prevent blowing the seals out.

I have a Driftmotion oil line kit (http://www.driftmotion.com/Oil-Line-Kit-1JZ-2JZ-Single-Turbo-p/dm124.htm) which I believe uses a -4AN oil feed line. If using this oil line kit with a 6266 journal bearing turbo, is an oil restrictor of any type required? Obviously the last thing I want to do is over-lubricate my brand new turbo! Thanks guys :)

God, less than 2 minutes on Precision's own web site reading their turbo installation amanual and they have this to say, which concurs with Garrett and how I myself have always installed journal bearing turbo oil feeds, (no restrictor used), for what it's worth:

1. Turbocharger oil feed line sizes. (JOURNAL BEARING)

• All small single journal bearing turbocharger applications utilizing turbocharger sizes up to HP42 should utilize -4AN or 1/4 inch inside diameter oil feed line.

• All single journal bearing turbocharger applications utilizing turbocharger sizes HP47 and up should utilize -6AN or 3/8 inch inside diameter oil feed line.

• All small twin journal bearing turbocharger applications utilizing turbocharger sizes up to HP42 should utilize a -6AN or 3/8 inch inside diameter main oil feed line into a Y block to -4AN or 1/4 inch inside diameter turbocharger oil feed lines. The -4AN turbocharger oil feed lines from the Y block to the turbochargers should be equal in length.

• All twin journal bearing turbocharger applications utilizing turbocharger sizes HP47 and up should utilize -8AN or 1/2 inch inside diameter main oil feed line into a Y block to -6AN or 3/8 inch inside diameter turbocharger oil feed lines. The -6AN turbocharger oil feed lines from the Y block to the turbochargers should be equal in length.

2. Turbocharger oil feed line sizes. (BALL BEARING) The oil feed to ball bearing turbochargers may be restricted but may not always be necessary. If a ball bearing turbocharger is supplied with an oil feed restrictor fitting it is suggested that this fitting be utilized.

• All single ball bearing turbocharger applications should utilize -4AN or 1/4 inch inside diameter oil feed line.

• All twin ball bearing turbocharger applications should utilize a -6AN or 3/8 inch inside diameter main oil feed line into a Y block to -4AN or 1/4 inch inside diameter turbocharger oil feed lines. The -4AN turbocharger oil feed lines from the Y block to the turbochargers should be equal in length.

There's lots of conflicting advice over the Internet.

Some precision turbos already have restrictors built in.

I've always used a rule of thumb on a -4 feed, which is 0.065 for journal bearing, and 0.035 on ball bearing.

Personally I've never had any issues with any turbos I've used, regarding oil pressures and seals, but I don't profess to be an expert.

I know that with my borg warner s362, it's recommended that a restrictor is used on a -4 feed, but not necessary with a -3 feed

Only the DBB turbo have restrictors built in

There's lots of conflicting advice over the Internet.

Some precision turbos already have restrictors built in.

I've always used a rule of thumb on a -4 feed, which is 0.065 for journal bearing, and 0.035 on ball bearing.

Personally I've never had any issues with any turbos I've used, regarding oil pressures and seals, but I don't profess to be an expert.

I know that with my borg warner s362, it's recommended that a restrictor is used on a -4 feed, but not necessary with a -3 feed