The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stroker Kit Q

Jellybean

You are correct about JUN, I dont know about the HKS stuff.

If you do a search I looked into getting some new Cosworth pistons made up using their latest tech, I got a lot of emails going back and forth with Cosworth as I initially asked them about doing another run on the JUN spec units but was advised they were very old, hence the newer units, it was going to be a group buy but couldnt get enough people interested sadly.

FYI part # PA1737 this is the old casting that were originally produced for JUN ;)

In JAN 2010 I had all pricing in place for 8 sets which were based on the newer Evo X pistons and included rings, pins, clips, skirt coating, anti det bands and polished crowns.

Would be interesting to see which version they have, I am guessing they are the older JUN castings.

Cosworth is a very well respected name in motorsport including F1, I believe Mahle are also used in motorsport, I would look into all factors like piston weight, construction, coatings etc and then decide ;)

Ohhh Carrillo , I read the H beam design is a little stronger than the pin boss and the real strength behind their rods in comparison to other manufacturers is thier tight controls of the steel alloy (E4340) , tight adherence to heat treatment and shot-peening standards

I wonder what is the max Stroke on the 2jz , probably tge tomei 3.6 kit ; if we knew rod length , piston compression height and piston deck Clearance we could calculate it

I wonder are the stanard OEM rods , carbon steel ,cast , Aluminium , or PPF rods (Precision Powder forged)?

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/piston_motion_basics.htm

This is the basics, some maths, but it's a complex subject. Best pistons in my opinion are Omega from here in the UK. Cosworth and Mahle both do high end stuff but also do cheap stuff for the tuning market, dn't think the stroker Cosworth pistons contain much of their F1 technology ;) HKS rods and cranks used to be made here in the UK by Farndon. All this stuff is available here in the UK if you want to assemble a kit with a mix and match using the best of everything. A 3.6 stroker is getting pretty extreme, and would prrobably justify a big valve head with bigger exhaust valves and fairly extreme (for a 3 litre) cams. Don't expect to rev it much.

Farndon , thanks Chris ; knew I read they are made in the UK

Out of curiosity how complex can a piston get ? Cosworth pistons with F1 Tech?

I was under the impression a Piston with cooling voids in the crown would be about as complex as they get

What price is an Omega piston? Cosworth is around 1000 gbp mark , Mahle is around 700 gbp ; 2618 aluminum alloy (the 2 barrel pistons are made form 4032)

Mahle seem cheap