The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Konichiwa!

.killsec

Hello all,

Been lurking for a little bit between forums and decided to call this one home. I never thought I'd buy a Supra, they were always "unobtainable" for me, but then I enlisted and got stationed in the motherland, Tokyo Japan. I bought my baby last July (2015). Shes a 93' NA auto, and I can already hear a collective sigh from you manual TT purists haha. I paid $5k for the car with one original owner, 60,000km, and absolutely bone stock. I plan on doing a swap down the line to TT Manual but I need to wait till I'm stateside again for that to go down. No mods yet, but I'm looking at putting in some Tein coilovers in and cleaning up the interior since it needs just a little bit of TLC, but for right now there's no point in putting power in to an engine I'll be selling in a few years time.

Anyways I hope to meet some good friends on here and learn from the greats and share my success stories as well. Glad to be here!

IMG_0195.jpg

Coulda swore it was stock, ah well. We all make mistakes, can say with some certainty that everything else is stock. At least as far as I've looked any ways. At any rate thanks! :)

On a closer look I think it is stock actually my bad, looked to have larger openings might be the angle looks sweet though

Welcome to the club! Nice example there! My first supra was an NA, thought it was brilliant so I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

On a closer look I think it is stock actually my bad, looked to have larger openings might be the angle looks sweet though

I think the only bumper similar to stock with wider opennings is the whiffbitz one? But I can't imagine many being in Japan!

Welcome to the club! Nice example there! My first supra was an NA, thought it was brilliant so I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I think the only bumper similar to stock with wider opennings is the whiffbitz one? But I can't imagine many being in Japan!

Yeah I think it was where it was hard to see the indicators which does make it look like the whiffbits one

I'll get a better pic tomorrow of it. I'm pretty sure it's just the angle though but honestly, I'm still familiarizing myself with the car. I've had it for a while but it's difficult finding time being an aircraft maintainer.

On a different note, my interior needs some cleaning up, it's not bad at all just needs a little work. Anyone have recommendations on how to re-adhere the headliner to the ceiling? The fabric itself isn't sagging, the whole panel is. Original owner tried some velcro strips but that failed miserably. Also the dash is just a little warped, any tips on that? I'm getting a sun shade to prevent further damage (Japan gets hot as all hell) but I'd like to fix it as best I can.

And again, thanks all for the words of welcome, I should note that I've never had the opportunity to work on a car, so I'm at the very beginning level of learning. Hope you all can forgive my future noob questions haha.

Edit: Saw a recommendation to use sikaflex. Can anyone think of a better suggestion?

Edited by .killsec
Used the search like a good boy. (see edit history)

There's a few I know of on base, but I rarely see them out on the streets, pretty crazy. How often do you make it over to Japan?

I try and get over once a year, was over for TAS this year along with a couple of other members and we got lucky with the super street meet. I'm eventually wanting to move over there

How do you find the language barrier in Japan? I've heard it's heard it can be quite hard finding many people that understand English?

It's not always easy. I've carried out full conversations with the locals over Google Translate on my phone. Thankfully, they are very patient and nice people. For the most part though they speak enough English to know what you're getting at. It's not as hard as you might think getting around. There's a lot of English used on signs and info as well. I want to grasp as much Japanese as I can while I'm here because I want to come back some day. I dread the day I get sent back to the states. Japan feels more like home.

I try and get over once a year, was over for TAS this year along with a couple of other members and we got lucky with the super street meet. I'm eventually wanting to move over there

Let me know when you're up here sometime! I'd be down for a meetup. Like I said to Glanza_Mike, I want to stay as well. The wife on the other hand isn't as keen due to friends and family back home.

Edited by .killsec (see edit history)

Awesome and welcome, that things gota be rust FREE. Lucky, here in the UK we cant aviod any kind of corrosion on cars. And you have access to the most desirable parts, id get it swapped to a tt in Japan, would be way cheaper and youd find a great engine and box there to! If you do ship her home, rebuild and service in Japan dude! :D

Awesome and welcome, that things gota be rust FREE. Lucky, here in the UK we cant aviod any kind of corrosion on cars. And you have access to the most desirable parts, id get it swapped to a tt in Japan, would be way cheaper and youd find a great engine and box there to! If you do ship her home, rebuild and service in Japan dude! :D

I'd love to do the swap here but I've got some buddies who've had some bad luck with importers after swaps so safest way is to ship the engine back with the car and swap it stateside. While I'm here I'm definitely going to pick up as much parts as I can, Upgarage shops are the car enthusiasts' candy shop.

Welcome - what you going to do import your supra to america if you get posted back?

Since I'm married the Air Force allows me to ship 2 cars for free when I leave and they handle that for me. It's a great deal for all the stuff I have to tolerate with the job lol.

I suppose I could tell you guys a little more about myself since I neglected to do so earlier heh. Real names Hayden, I'm currently in college working towards a bachelors in computer networking and cyber security, I love working with computers, it was my first passion. I've been getting in to making music but nothing worthy of an upload yet haha. I'm also a pretty seasoned artist if I may be so bold to say so. Aside from all that I love getting out to Japan and exploring it with my wife, hiking new mountains, and exploring new cities.

Here's an example of my art. This was a father's day gift for my dad.

10599316_10152308384577081_7662036156566783132_n.jpg

Edited by .killsec (see edit history)