The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Meshing your bumper questions

Getrag

The mesh that came with the car is looking a bit tired now so I want to replace it with some nice silver stuff. Now, I dont fancy taking the bumper off to do it, can I leave it on? The mesh appears to be put on with a gluey mess and its coming away, so I can probably pull it off. Finally, where can I get some good quality material? Halfrauds B+Q prob.

Guest grahamgoodship

go to halfrauds, try and get black mess! that looks loads better.

it only £20 in there i think. don't go to B&Q, they will sell you steel and it will rust!

G

Got the Bomex on mine and had to take the bumper off to get the mess on It seem like a pain but it make the task alot more straight forward. You can get the mess from B&Q or any DIY store but you have to get the stainless steel other wise it will rust.

graham does godalming still have a New years gathering in the centre? Went there when i was 18 and the women were very friendly :p

Thank yooo! Stainless steel/black mess it is. Some sort of epoxy/resin to glue it I imagine.

Correct just don't do what i did at first and get the epoxy that takes hours to harden. and use plenty but becareful about what you touch as i had dirty glue finger print on the front of the bumper, that wouldn't come off.

Cheers, good advice. I think i will cover up the front of the car in that case.

Couple of technical questions. If I cover up the side holes on the VS bumper, will it reduce airflow to the stock IC dramatically and will I be causing myself a lot of hassle if I want to remove the indicator to change a bulb?

If you want some superb quality stainless mesh then this place sells it, not cheap but worth it!

http://www.espdesign.co.uk/udp.asp?cat=7&subcat=diy&make=&model=&udp=893

This is the stuff i had on mine 0- dude pointed me at this stuff - bloody expensive though!!

Also I think the idea of having the tabs positioned around the aperture and using wire to hold it in place is a much neater idea!

:thumbs:

I've got the veilside on mine, Got the mesh from halfrauds for £18. Took it to my local bodyshop guy and he fitted it all with some form of glue. He also did the little side holes. Looks nice IMO. Plus it protects my Blitz LM FMIC :D I had the mesh fitted 1 week after the intercooler which was a good job, as the day after the mesh was fitted, a pigeon decided it wanted a close look at how well it was fitted. Needless to say there was blood and feathers all over, but the mesh is fine and held up! Thank god, wouldn't want to have to replace the FMIC.

I think my bodyshop guy took the bumper off to fit it though, I don't see it been very easy to fit whilst on the car.

I'm thinking about having the Blitz logo sprayed in my mesh, but not sure yet..

This is the stuff i had on mine 0- dude pointed me at this stuff - bloody expensive though!!

Also I think the idea of having the tabs positioned around the aperture and using wire to hold it in place is a much neater idea!

:thumbs:

I remember seeing mesh on one of the cars you were selling, dark with the do-luck front bumper. Is that that mesh you used, it looks very very nice.

Mine with stainless woven mesh, cost about £60, enough to do my stock bumper.

Well worth it, been on a couple of years and still looks great and stays shiney. I fitted from the back, took bumper/nose off and made up blocks with threaded studding to bolt it on.

Paul

e.jpg