The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project DBX

ellis

PROJECT DBX

It's highly likely that this has not been the best kept secret around (probably due to me blabbing more than anybody else) but P555SUP has been undergoing a bit of an overhaul and update. It was about a year ago that I came across a post of a kit on FB from a company called Twinz, based in Peru. The company has been producing kits for the 300ZX for quite some time so has some credibility and track record. I even created a thread about it having this lot on for DB16 (DBX) as an improvement and modernising of the stock look http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?321333-Twinz-Design-Dragonball-2016-Look-maybe-!

So after some research into the company and more pics of the kit, Twinz were contacted who said that MVP in the States were to be the official supplier of the kit - no direct sales. MVP were contacted and the kit was pre-ordered before they even had any! They had to wait until they had approx $30,000 worth of orders before Twinz would ship. The waiting began.

Months later an email appeared saying that the kits were in and ready to ship! It could begin.

And then an enormous box arrived!

And then the enormous box got opened.

So all the kit was here and the plan for the car was drawn up:

• Removal of the OEM kit - active spoiler and rubber lip, removal of sideskirts and spats

• Removal of the low level rear spoiler, the B&M Brune one, and the fitting of a much more subtle boot lip one

• Removal of front side reflectors

• Removal of rear side reflectors

• Removal of front numberplate from bumper and creating a bracket for fitment inside the bumper

• Removal of rear wiper

• New coat of paint in a new colour (undecided at this point)

• Fitting of the Twinz Kit (minus their rear spoiler)

There was an idea in my mind of how it would look when finished in terms of look rather than colour

From this:

To this:

Edited by ellis (see edit history)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Project DBX - Darnley Auto Works

The next part, and more important, was finding a partner to work with on this project who had a similar outlook in terms of vision and attention to detail and boy did we strike gold with Rob Mitchell and DAW. From the very off Rob's attitude was one of total commitment and excitement in tackling this. The Twinz kit was likely to be the first fitted to a UK car, even a European one, and Rob totally understood what this meant. But more than this, throughout the entire project, Rob and Steve the paint guru, have bent over backwards to create something unique and a project to be proud of. Instead of just blindly doing what was on the list, Rob has chatted, discussed and questioned elements, offering his own suggestions and tackling this as if it were his own car. And that is what, more than anything, anybody starting out on a project like this really needs - not someone that will work for you but someone who will work with you. Elements of the initial plan were adapted and changed after chats with Rob and the end result is better for it.

Rob is well known to nearly everybody on the forum and his fanatical attention to detail obviously runs through every part of him as no part of this project was handled with a 'that'll do' mentality. Everything was thought out to the last detail, then executed superbly.

From our point of view the car could not have been in better hands and I'll state here, at the beginning of the thread, that I am unbelievably impressed and blown away with the skill, dedication and professionalism that has run through this whole project like a stick of rock! There has been regular discussion and a mammoth amount of pics highlighting the incredible amount of work and high level of skill that has gone into it. Rob, Steve, thank you - you are both legends.

And so, very early in December 2015, the car made it's way to Kent, where the garage of DAW would be its home for the next 3 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice Ellis, nice to see something different :thumbs: Your car is looking fantastic

That's not a pic of my car - yet! That was just me playing with Photoshop (for a change!)

Read on!!

Project DBX - Choosing the Colour

A pretty important part this bit! Initially the decision had been to go with a slightly darker gunmetal colour. The car had been resprayed (not well) about 5 years previously after a nasty incident with a couple of druggies. Back then it was redone in Honda Pewter Grey NH537M. Nice colour. Looked good.

But this time it was decided to head back to the 'family' and choose either a Toyota or Lexus colour and so, whilst Rob stripped the car down, a trip was made to the Lincoln Toyota/Lexus dealership. We were honest from the start - weren't buying, just wanted to look at your paint charts, and they were really helpful. After much time we stepped out for a look at the cars on the forecourt and there it was. Spotted by Mrs G herself, there sat a brand new RX in this colour that we'd not seen before. Brand new to the UK apparently. Sonic Titanium (1J7). And that was that. Mrs G chose the colour and why not, it is her car!!

This was the colour (not the car we saw)

Rob was informed and that was that - Project DBX was settled.

As you can see, this was going to be a proper job - glass out, doors off, bumpers off, handles off, mirrors off, the lot!

I have to again take my hat off to Rob and Steve who took every opportunity to ensure that this was an absolute top notch job.

Steve getting properly stuck in!