The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Picking up car at Southampton docks

Tariqd

Hi people,

Tried searching the forum for this but could not find anything related to this (maybe im being stupid anyway).

I wanted to know if anyone here has picked up their car from the docks before or had it delivered to them, and the process in which they had to carry certain things out to get it fully road legal.

Here is what I have so far on the step by step process with info gathered from other forums and gov.uk.

1) Before pick up insure car on VIN/chassis number (bring insurance documents)

2) Fill in customs forms at docks upon collection

Get forms from customs officers at the UK border. They’ll

ask to see any:

-foreign registration for your vehicle

-other documents you have for it

3) Pay tax and duty fees at docks (30% accumulation i think)

3) Get it MOT'd asap on VIN/chassis number(?)

4) Register with DVLA using documents received

5) Tax vehicle

6) Get plates (any suggestions where to best get these?)

7) Drive it (yay)

Have I missed anything important?

Also is the registration number randomly generated? I assume it wont be age related etc?

Any help as always much appreciated

Cheers guys

Oh and I have also requested an import pack from DVLA and a bunch of other forms like V55 etc

If this is importing it yourself its completely different. You pay everything before you've even got to the docks then all you need to do is provide your payment documents and take the car, everything else is separate. Have you got a shipping company moving the car? They should invoice you all the fees etc.

Then you can either collect it on a flat bed or insure the VIN and drive it home/MOT only, you then have to fill in all the paperwork for registering it etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fTAuqe8CzY

Documented my import last year

You have got a few things out of order there. All taxes need to be paid before collection from a bonded warehouse. The freight forwarder should have filed the necessary HMRC forms for you. I imported a '65 Ford Mustang last year.

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?70186-New-65-Fastback-Just-Imported/page2

If you go onto the Mustang forum the import section has lots of information on the process and how to conduct the V55 UK registration. Just make sure you select the date range on posts to a year to get a large list of posts to read.

You do need lots of form filling

C384 customs release

Historic Vehicle request form (essential for lower VAT and Duty payment on vintage vehicle - soon enough will apply to Supra Mk4's)

If the HMRC agree a historic class they will issue a C386

You don't need insurance to pick up the car as you won't be driving it unless on trade plates which carry their own insurance. Insurance is advisory though to cover damage and theft of the vehicle. Some insurers only give you 30 days to insure on the VIN before it has to be UK road registered. That can be a tough time limit since you have to get the car through its MOT then file a V55 with all the required docs and have DVLA issue a registration number. So check with your insurer if there is a VIN time limit.

Everything else is covered on the Mustang forum imports section in lots of detail. Its an easy process if you get it right, it can be very expensive if you get it wrong. Getting the HMRC to agree to a historical vehicle tax class on a vintage vehicle (which the Supra Mk4 will soon classify as) is absolutely crucial to the costs.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

I got paragon in Southampton to pick my car up from the docs and they told me which company to use to sort out all the paperwork! The company that sorted all of the customs and tax costs on £90 so I thought I would let them do that otherwise you could sit at the docks for a while

- - - Updated - - -

I got paragon in Southampton to pick my car up from the docs and they told me which company to use to sort out all the paperwork! The company that sorted all of the customs and tax costs on £90 so I thought I would let them do that otherwise you could sit at the docks for a while

You have got a few things out of order there. All taxes need to be paid before collection from a bonded warehouse. The freight forwarder should have filed the necessary HMRC forms for you. I imported a '65 Ford Mustang last year.

http://www.mocgb.net/forums/showthread.php?70186-New-65-Fastback-Just-Imported/page2

If you go onto the Mustang forum the import section has lots of information on the process and how to conduct the V55 UK registration. Just make sure you select the date range on posts to a year to get a large list of posts to read.

You do need lots of form filling

C384 customs release

Historic Vehicle request form (essential for lower VAT and Duty payment on vintage vehicle - soon enough will apply to Supra Mk4's)

If the HMRC agree a historic class they will issue a C386

You don't need insurance to pick up the car as you won't be driving it unless on trade plates which carry their own insurance. Insurance is advisory though to cover damage and theft of the vehicle. Some insurers only give you 30 days to insure on the VIN before it has to be UK road registered. That can be a tough time limit since you have to get the car through its MOT then file a V55 with all the required docs and have DVLA issue a registration number. So check with your insurer if there is a VIN time limit.

Everything else is covered on the Mustang forum imports section in lots of detail. Its an easy process if you get it right, it can be very expensive if you get it wrong. Getting the HMRC to agree to a historical vehicle tax class on a vintage vehicle (which the Supra Mk4 will soon classify as) is absolutely crucial to the costs.

do you mean tax exemption? they stopped that a while back so now it only applies to vehicles made before 1978 or something. But i will for sure look into the whole vintage vehicle classing anyway for the other areas of cost.

do you mean tax exemption? they stopped that a while back so now it only applies to vehicles made before 1978 or something. But i will for sure look into the whole vintage vehicle classing anyway for the other areas of cost.

Its a 30 year rule so definitely doesn't apply to Mk4 Supras just yet but its worth noting for anyone thinking of importing an older cars as the lower rate of VAT and Duty can make many £000's difference.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Yep I think thats what Im going to do. I have a friend of a friend who works with JDMAuctionWatch so ill get logistics sorted through him hopefully.

Just seen your video- that must have been so nerve-racking using the alternate transport not knowing if you will see it again! The hardest part I can imagine is the waiting from when it sets sail though and the paranoia the entire way through the process.

Worth it in the end though!

Yep I think thats what Im going to do. I have a friend of a friend who works with JDMAuctionWatch so ill get logistics sorted through him hopefully.

Just seen your video- that must have been so nerve-racking using the alternate transport not knowing if you will see it again! The hardest part I can imagine is the waiting from when it sets sail though and the paranoia the entire way through the process.

Worth it in the end though!

The waiting isn't too bad depending who you go with. You normally get live tracking information the whole way when it's sailing