The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please Help

JIMBOW1

hi my name is james and i live in oxfordshire uk and im about to buy my first supra!!!!!

im looking at 1993-96 supra 3.0 n/a, could u please tell me what u think of this modle?

has any 1 got the proper performance specs on the 3.0 n/a? iv loved the supra for ages and now i can finaly afford 1 :D :D

any tips on what to look out for when buying, im not put off by imports

any comments will be a great help thank!

i look forward to geting to know u all :looney:

I've got an NA, and needless to say it is a very good place to start..

As the NA is slightly easier to control and get used to, specially if it is your first rear wheel drive car...

However as most people will tell you the bug will kick in and you will want to upgrade the power...

However I enjoy my NA...

Gav

thanks for the advice, and yes it will be my first rwd car so i know not to go to go for the tt :blink:

have u had any probs with ur n/a?? ire they reliable sorry to ask

Na will be very reliable, its the same engine as is in the Lexus GS300 which are frequently for sale with 120+K miles on. I'd check for suspension noises/clunks etc as this may be tired. Radiators can crack so i'd look out on 93/4 cars to see if its still original (if it is it could be up for a replacement soon)

Only other thing that could cost a lot is the heater matrix going. I'd make sure the heater on each one you see makes very hot air (almost too hot to bear at full heat and max blower)

Other than that, there are spec issues, ABS is not standard on all NA's, An sz-r version is available with a LSD (a good thing IMO)

IMO the best NA to look out for is a 6-speed 96 on Sz-r. This will have ABS a nice close ratio box, facelift lights/dash and maybe the bigger uk spec brakes and i have seen them for around the £7000 mark.

i have a n/a and i love it to bits but the bug has almost got me im looking at a tt very soon or making mine a na-t, as reliabilty is concerned i have a 1994 n/a with 110,000 km on and it has just had a MOT and passed with nothing what so ever wrong with it i think its a good place to start and there look just as good :D

thanks for the advice, and yes it will be my first rwd car so i know not to go to go for the tt :blink:

James how old are you? have you tried insurance quotes for both NA and TT's, you may be suprised!

Straight to a TT might not be that bad if you are sensible and respect it. Basically your attitude about getting a NA suggests a healthy level of caution to me and as such you would probably take your time to learn the cars traits.

I'd PM TDraper he's gone straight to a TT, first RWD car, brought it at the worst time of the year and is 21 ish, but seems to have got on ok so far.

After all the car won;t do anything that you don't tell it too!

Just mention this as you may regret going NA (more do than don't)

i think a car that does 0-60 in about 6.5 will feel very very fast if the guy has come straight from 45bhp shopping trolleys.....a tt may be out of his budget

possibly, but who's to say he's not coming from the hot hatch brigade where he's used to 6.5 sec 0-60's?

TT may well be out of his budget, but with TT's available at sub £8k it may not be? especially when insurance is almost always more expensive for NA's (this really used to get to me, paying more for a slower car!)

Its all about options, if he's saved to get to the point of buying an NA, would he possibly be better off saving a while longer and getting a TT? His call not ours just trying to help the guy make an informed choice/decision.......

James how old are you? have you tried insurance quotes for both NA and TT's, you may be suprised!

Straight to a TT might not be that bad if you are sensible and respect it. Basically your attitude about getting a NA suggests a healthy level of caution to me and as such you would probably take your time to learn the cars traits.

I'd PM TDraper he's gone straight to a TT, first RWD car, brought it at the worst time of the year and is 21 ish, but seems to have got on ok so far.

After all the car won;t do anything that you don't tell it too!

Just mention this as you may regret going NA (more do than don't)

I agree, don't rule out a TT. It's my first Supra and I went for a TT, I went straight from a 1.5 16v Honda Civic Coupe, huge difference in power as you will all agree lol and I too bought a Supra at the worst time of year (end of November) but I do treat it with alot of respect (OK no comments on how fast I was pushing it on the way to the midlands meet sunday! LOL). I did have alot of advise before I went for a Supra off the brother-in-law who has owned a TT for a few years now, and I was warned about what a widow maker it can be. At the end of the day the car will only be as reckless as the driver in my opinion.

As Scooter said insurance could be an issue if your young, no problem here as I have insured the Supra fully comp for £430 per year (I am getting on a bit, 29 years old), less than it was costing me to insure the Civic?!?! Crazy I know. I did find and so did friends and family that if you include your Mrs as a named driver it knocks about £150 a year off!.

N/A or TT, no doubt you will hear arguments from both sides, it's all down to personal preference and what you will feel happy with. I wanted a UK spec so hence I had to go with a TT. You could always buy an N/A and NOS it up for that extra kick like Ray did. Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaw!

Burna.

I have both, I am selling my TT and keeping the NA. I think that speaks volumes for the car in itself.

Don't be put off by all the crap that you should have an NA (or other rear wheel drive car) fisrt before getting a TT. They are pokey in standard form and do need to be driven with obvious caution but there not rocket ships.

Personally, I thought for a car with near enough 330 BHP and that amount of torque that it wasn't as quick as I expected. :cry:

The TT insurance is often cheaper, it was for me, Im 25. It really depends what you are after budget wise and performance wise.

The TT is easy to extrcat big power, but the NA does not have many mod option at all. Except NOS.

I found that using the TT as a daily driver was a bit of a waste and a fair amount of money to be tied up for the 2% of the time I felt like giving some welly.

For me personally, I think the NA is the better option, feels faster around the local roads and still has the looks.

what hot hatches can do 0-60 in about 6.5-6.8 apart from the clio 172 and civic type rs??

i don't know.......

What i do know from having x2 NA's and x2 TT's is that they are both fine cars, but the NA is just a fast sports car, it will not leave any hot hatch 'for dead' like the TT can.

From your DOB it looks like your coming up to your 21st soon, you should be able to get some okish insurance quotes depending on your ncb, I would recommend as scooter says getting a facelift n/a, a late 96' there are a few about and are much nicer imo, the n/a is quick and is plenty for the roads but I'm glad that I didn't go for the n/a in a way as having the TT has alowed me to play about with much quicker cars whcih would have abbliterated me had I been in a n/a, but you could always turbo it later on...

In real road terms the NA isn't a great deal slower than the TT. Okay the TT has loads more torque giving acceleration from any gear, but when racing like for like the NA isn't very far behind. At least until 100-120 when the TT will dissapear, but how often do you do that?

Driving the TT like its supposed to be driven will:

1. Cost you a mint in petrol ;)

2. Get you banned, or at least points on your license

3. Crash your car (many do)

4. Give you a massive smile

If you do want to upgrade performance at a later date, buy a TT now. The NA-T kit is an option, but not really a worthwhile IMO unless you want to be different.