The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on a Supra

Guest Pro_Wrap

Guest Pro_Wrap

Hi guys,

What are peoples views on this supra i am looking at, spec below...

Black 1999 RZ

76,000 miles (BIMTA certificate)

SARD single turbo kit K27

Greddy Emanager

Blitz suspension

Greddy intercooler

Top secret body kit

For sale by SVA for £17,999, kind of what i am after but new to this whole market so any advice would be good. I have read reviews on SVA before comments are made on them.

Thanks

You may want to include other key information such as is it an auto or manual. If a manual was it a factory manual or an auto conversion. Is it a TT to single conversion or a n/a to single conversion. All these will impact the value for the vehicle along with normal things like HPI clear.

The SARD k27 turbo conversion was being talked about around 8 years ago so it's likely to have a few miles behind it which is a positive in many ways as it shows its a good reliable fitment. It wasn't one of the big bhp conversions but it wasn't one of the cheapest bolt ons either. I'm surprised they haven't mentioned what the bhp is. May be 400bhp, maybe 450bhp could be 500bhp? I'd ask for a dyno run anyway just to know all is well and what your are looking at, for insurance purposes if nothing else. If its a genuine car then I'd be happy enough that its a reasonable price as top standard TT6s are now nudging that level and original UK spec cars are at or above that level. If you google the kit then you'll hit some Supra forum links from around that era.

if it is the car linked above I do wonder though why anyone would take promo pictures of a black car in the wet. There is nothing like a bit of water to make a black car look its best. ultimately, I believe the most valuable Supras down the road will revert to stock to maximise their value so whatever is on that VIN plate will affect its long term investment potential. If its just to buy and drive then that isn't probably going to be an important consideration.

To make it a proper thing it will need a replacement mappable ECU. You need to be *SURE* the manifold is not cracked and the turbo / wastegate is working properly. Old school turbo, so make SURE you can get parts and have it rebuilt if and when required. The suspension will be horrible, budget for replacing it. The car sounds VERY expensive to me.

I think it's right on the money in the current market for a late vvti fresh import. But, like Chris said, I would want to fit a decent modern ECU and a brand new turbo ideally. Either Syvecs or Motec for the management, and Garrett, Born Warner or Precision for the turbo. At least the turbo kit itself is a decent quality one, and not one of the cheap eBay jobs.

I hear everyone saying prices are on the up but it still seems a hell of a lot of money for a 17 year old car!

What's the age got to do with anything? Like many old cars, they are appreciating in value now.

A guy I know bought a Porsche 993 Turbo for just under £40k ten years ago, and it is worth around £120k now. That is an 18 year old car.