The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions please re. Value

Andy_s-TT-Supra

Hi ladies and gents,

I just want your valued opinion regarding the value I should be looking for if I did sell my supra.

I cannot stress how nice the condition is and also forgot to mention that on top

Of the work done I have a receipt confirming it had a brand new radiator fitted 1.5 years ago.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?330865-96-twin-turbo-supra-for-sale-(imported-98)

Current mileage is 45,000 km

I'd say £10k-£11K also.

I think there has been a shift in the value of these cars recently, but It leaves a situation where everyone thinks their cars are worth £x,000 more than they are.

This situation can lead to a false economy.

Your cars looks lovely, so I'm sure you wont struggle to sell at £10k-£11k, maybe leave it a year or two and your original asking price might be a reality.

See I'd rather sell without the wheels at that price as there's a good £1000 spent on the wheels alone. If I could get a decent set of 17s then I'd likely do that.

It's a shame really as there's a lot of dogs out there so when tidy ones come up it's nice to see. eBay highlights this quite frequently.

£11k would be my bottom line I think as anything less and it's giving it away. Saw a fiesta yesterday for £12k - supra or basic fiesta for the same money?

Like.i said to you before, the wheels are nice, but they detract from the car for the people you are trying to sell it to. It needs stock wheels, a really well written advert and loads of high quality pictures to get the sort of money you want. It would probably help to mention that to buy a similar car mow from Japan would probably cost £15k-£20K.

Would be nice to see more supras at the shows as well. I remember a few years back seeing loads on the mk iv stand and they all looked lush but now there's only the odd one or 2 that goes to the shows. There's a thread up for a club stand for japday in a month or two - be good to see a good turnout again. If the silvers boring it would be nice to see some coloured ones and I know there are some beauties in the south

Nice car, looks extremley clean under the bonnet too, judging by what I've seen on fleabay the last few years what they said above is about right. Particularly as certain traders are selling/trying to sell lesser examples for more, but I think they're overpriced. Maybe hang on a few years until Yankee market opens up? And why do you actually want to sell it anyway :search:

Or those who buy it could put stock wheels on? - I guess it depends how vital it is but as its a bolt on mod I can't see it being a massive difference to a sale or not. If it's the wheels currently on there that's tipping the balance I could join the bodykit squad :-)

That isn't how car sales work though. If you want to maximise the effect of having a clean, stock, low miles car, it needs to be stock. Even the wheels.

Regarding wheels I think it's personal preference. A purist will want stock but I'd agree that they could change them there self's. Or you buy a set and when you come to sale you sale the aftermarket wheels separately. It's a great example from pictures I only based my valuation on current market and what you can buy in the UK at the moment.

A good set of wheels I don't think would detract value but possibly buyers. But that's the same if stock were on. As someone might not like them and would have to change them. I'd want to change them from stock but I like stock wheels so it is personal preference in my opinion :)

Just fancy a change to be fair. The supra is something I always wanted to own but then I don't want to spend 10s of thousands tuning it up only to get £4K back. There's plenty of tuning parts available but it all seems to be at a big premium plus small stuff is now getting discontinued due to the age of the car so the bubble is bursting a bit. It's an amazing car and I've seen some amazing ones on this forum but sometimes I think it's a shame having it as it spends all week in the garage and only comes out at the weekend if the weathers alrite as I tend not to take it out if it's rank. The day after I bought it I had it straight in for a massive service where everything was done just so

I knew I had a good base and everything was spot on. The guy who owned I before me barely drove it which is shown between each MOT. I guess I've done just the same and worry more when using it than actually enjoy using it.

Nice car, looks extremley clean under the bonnet too, judging by what I've seen on fleabay the last few years what they said above is about right. Particularly as certain traders are selling/trying to sell lesser examples for more, but I think they're overpriced. Maybe hang on a few years until Yankee market opens up? And why do you actually want to sell it anyway :search:

I know you're only round the corner from me dude, so if you want some half decent photos taking I'd be happy to help. Shame you're still leaning towards selling. After we spoke I thought you'd be keeping it.

I think about getting rid of mine on a weekly basis. Especially now I've got my 960 and it's basically like driving a Chesterfield on wheels. But I think you'd regret it if you did.

If you're not fussed about where you sell, and you don't specifically want it to go to a member on here, I'd slap it up on fleabay with a redonkulous reserve so you know it's not going to sell... and just see how high the bidding goes. That's not against the rules is it? It might be... it sounds like it might be...

I think the best answer is the price people are willing to pay... Chuck it onto Autotrader for your asking price and see what interest you get and drop down as needed/if needed.

It's certainly a clean car and with low miles it'll be a valuable thing to own for someone. I think you'd find it easier to sell a Supra that's OEM as possible so maybe spend £300 for some original 17s or 16s if poss. Personally it wouldn't bother me but some prefer the safety in un-modified cars blahblahlah

Like.i said to you before, the wheels are nice, but they detract from the car for the people you are trying to sell it to. It needs stock wheels, a really well written advert and loads of high quality pictures to get the sort of money you want. It would probably help to mention that to buy a similar car mow from Japan would probably cost £15k-£20K.

As is said here,you have to decide what market your aiming for.I have been looking for at least a year but stock look is not my thing.Chances are if this was a kitted car I,d have been after it glws.

Just fancy a change to be fair. The supra is something I always wanted to own but then I don't want to spend 10s of thousands tuning it up only to get £4K back. There's plenty of tuning parts available but it all seems to be at a big premium plus small stuff is now getting discontinued due to the age of the car so the bubble is bursting a bit. It's an amazing car and I've seen some amazing ones on this forum but sometimes I think it's a shame having it as it spends all week in the garage and only comes out at the weekend if the weathers alrite as I tend not to take it out if it's rank. The day after I bought it I had it straight in for a massive service where everything was done just so

I knew I had a good base and everything was spot on. The guy who owned I before me barely drove it which is shown between each MOT. I guess I've done just the same and worry more when using it than actually enjoy using it.

Yep can be tough wandering is it worth it for time you use and leave it parked anywhere and getting a whack. Been contemplating keeping/selling mine against using the money for karting and getting a licence etc for two years but always keep her :) you done any track days? Hopefully going to try this year......

Thanks for the offer bud. I took it out for a bit of a drive this evening after work and it does drive nice and is so much nicer than your average car you pass by on the road so it is hard to decide. There's a few shows coming up in the next month or so - japday and japfest so maybe I just need to get the love back for it.

I know you're only round the corner from me dude, so if you want some half decent photos taking I'd be happy to help. Shame you're still leaning towards selling. After we spoke I thought you'd be keeping it.

I think about getting rid of mine on a weekly basis. Especially now I've got my 960 and it's basically like driving a Chesterfield on wheels. But I think you'd regret it if you did.

If you're not fussed about where you sell, and you don't specifically want it to go to a member on here, I'd slap it up on fleabay with a redonkulous reserve so you know it's not going to sell... and just see how high the bidding goes. That's not against the rules is it? It might be... it sounds like it might be...

Someone recommend me some worth while mods for the car If I was to keep it. Brakes would be a nice upgrade but styling wise the facelift lights however is it me or does it seem a ball ache with the wiring? I'd happily fit them but wouldn't want to touch the wiring myself. Anyone swapped the headlights themselves and happy to lend a hand? :)

BPU first. So:

- an uprated side mount intercooler (I just happen to have one for sale)

- full de cat (whifbitz sell decat pipes)

- Restrictor ring (Whifbitz)

- decent exhaust system (used on here, or new Partbox are doing a deal on new HKS systems)

- Boost controller @ 1.2 bar (Greddy OLED is perfect)

- Chris wilson FCD (fuel cut defender, necessary to raise boost)

- uprated fuel pump (Whifbitz sell walboro ones)

That little lot will net you 380-400hp, and the car will really come alive. It will spool up sooner, and when the second turbo comes on, the car will feel like it's taking off. Kickdown on a BPU Supra is incredibly good fun.

Crucially, all of these are reversible too, so if you do decide to sell, you can put it back to stock in a few hours :)

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

I've got a custom 3 inch cat back exhaust on it currently so I guess the decats would be next but I would like to update the side mount too. Guessing both decats are frowned upon come MOT time? Or is it a case of find a friendly one to look away at the crucial moment :)

What side mount do you have?

BPU first. So:

- an uprated side mount intercooler (I just happen to have one for sale)

- full de cat (whifbitz sell decat pipes)

- decent exhaust system (used on here, or new Partbox are doing a deal on new HKS systems)

- Boost controller @ 1.2 bar (Greddy OLED is perfect)

- Chris wilson FCD (fuel cut defender, necessary to raise boost)

- uprated fuel pump (Whifbitz sell walboro ones)

That little lot will net you 380-400hp, and the car will really come alive. It will spool up sooner, and when the second turbo comes on, the car will feel like it's taking off. Kickdown on a BPU Supra is incredibly good fun.

Crucially, all of these are reversible too, so if you do decide to sell, you can put it back to stock in a few hours :)

I have a Whifbitz sidemount with a full HKS hardpipe kit, samco hoses and Murray constant tension clamps all round. It is the best setup you can get, except for the Chris Wilson side mount which is much more expensive.

Full description towards the bottom of the first post :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?330651-Now-redundant-parts-from-going-single-Lots-of-bits

I have a friendly MOT guy who 'refits' my cats for the test... :)

Someone recommend me some worth while mods for the car If I was to keep it. Brakes would be a nice upgrade but styling wise the facelift lights however is it me or does it seem a ball ache with the wiring? I'd happily fit them but wouldn't want to touch the wiring myself. Anyone swapped the headlights themselves and happy to lend a hand? :)

The facelift headlights and rear lights are a straight swap, take out the lights fit new lights, no wiring needed. Saying that the facelift headlights do not include the small side lights inside, so you'll also need to fit facelift front indicators/sidelights, these will need the side light wiring from the old headlights splicing into the new facelift sidelight wiring, which is a very simple job to do.

BPU definitely, it will bring the car to life.

I would also look at optimising the handling and braking eg, tyres, geo check/setup and (if it's fitted with the smaller brakes) upgrading to the larger brakes.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I had a look at the brake kits on offer on the whifbitz site and the ksport kits were about the same as the UK spec calipers. Is on better than the other or is it just a case of oem vs aftermarket?

BPU would def be something I would consider as everybody raves about it so can't be bad :)

I did read up about the indicator swap so might just give that a go as the facelift Lights do freshen it up