The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance for big power cars, who you with?

drift_bear

I know there are hundreds of threads like this but I'm wanting to know if i can put the car on a classic car policy with limited mileage OR will i not be able to due to the modifications? Hopefully some of the big power guys can help out and especially the big twin owners since that's the route I'm going down next month. I got my renewal through from sky and after some negotiations we got the price down to £500 (before the conversion), i have a few places to try but anymore will be a great help..

1. Sky
  2. Adrian Flux
  3. Admiral
  4. lynbrooks

Who else can i try?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admiral are good in as much as they will insure modified cars cheaply *However they only insure the value of your vehicle without modifications IE: your modified car is covered but they wont pay out for the replacement of said modifications in the event of a claim only the value of said car will be covered.

Admiral are good in as much as they will insure modified cars cheaply *However they only insure the value of your vehicle without modifications IE: your modified car is covered but they wont pay out for the replacement of said modifications in the event of a claim.

That rules them out! At least with sky its like for like and an agreed value...

I'll likely be going with Sky on renewal this year if they're competitive. I made a thread on all the insurers that I could get quotes from last year and ended up with Adrian Flux. They absolutely shafted me on the agreed value so I wouldn't recommend them at all for anyone else.

I've been with Adrian flux since I first bought the supra, when I modified it heavily and swapped out the Auto box for a 6 speed manual and put a GTE lump in and singled it they pretty much doubled the cost of my insurance! Was almost £1000, phoned sky and they were very helpful and after declaring every single mod there price was half of what Adrian flux quoted me! So went with sky.

I'm finding Adrian Flux better than Sky this year. I get more with my policy with Adrian Flux. Sky is cheaper by £30, but doesn't have as many policy perks as Adrian Flux.

Both are happy, subject to review, for agreed value of £18k which I think is quite fair.

Be very careful mate. Adrian flux were very happy with my valuation on paper. Getting it signed off took 3 weeks and went past the 14 day cooling off period. In the end the decided it wasn't worth 20k and dropped me down to 15k without any say at my end. I opted to cancel but they were going to shaft me for 70% if I did.

Absolute crooks, ends of the earth to get you in but once you are..... you're over a barrel.

Sky or HIC, when sky send my renewal HIC always beat then the 30 mins of calls go back and forth until one says they can't beat it. Usually HIC are the ones. So I end up remaining with Sky but cheaper than my renewal.

I was 29, all mods declared and BHP. Car has agreed value of £18000 7+ years of NCB

£550ish can't remember exactly.

My renewal is up in June and I will be doing that again..

Regarding agreed value I had to send of all my receipts, pics of my car ect

I'm with Sky. All mods declared, 29 years old, 6 or 7 years ncb and car kept on driveway. Not completed agreed valuation paperwork but it is part of the policy. £500 excess plus I can drive other cars (most policies used to have this as standard but June last year when I rung round a lot seemed to not have this, or would charge loads more). Limited mileage to 5k but they didn't take the starting mileage. Premium was £460, but they quoted 800 odd on renewal. Was only after a quote from Flux or CCI that they brought it down....

Be very careful mate. Adrian flux were very happy with my valuation on paper. Getting it signed off took 3 weeks and went past the 14 day cooling off period. In the end the decided it wasn't worth 20k and dropped me down to 15k without any say at my end. I opted to cancel but they were going to shaft me for 70% if I did.

Absolute crooks, ends of the earth to get you in but once you are..... you're over a barrel.

Noted Scott. I was with them last year and we both agreed £17K. I've had further work done and seem amenable to £18k. I do send them a binder of receipts too, which always helps.

So i thought i would update this and let everyone know what's happening....

I have tried compition car insurance and got a quote for £600 inc 5 track days and an agreed value of £30K, with everything like for like. The only problem is that i am not entitled to drive other cars through the policy which doesn't help obviously with my daily car.

Sky insurance have REFUSED to increase my value from £15K - £25K because they don't feel that the turbo kit plus supporting mods will take the price of the car up to the new value :blink: even though another member is running the same car, same mods and same turbo set up and got an agreed value of £25K :banghead:

I am now away to try to adrian fluxl and see what they can come back with...

I have tried compition car insurance and got a quote for £600 inc 5 track days and an agreed value of £30K, with everything like for like. The only problem is that i am not entitled to drive other cars through the policy which doesn't help obviously with my daily car.

er, don't you have a separate policy for the daily and hasn't that got the "insured to drive other cars with the owners permission blah blah"?

er, don't you have a separate policy for the daily and hasn't that got the "insured to drive other cars with the owners permission blah blah"?

My other car is on a multi-car policy through my dad, he's the owner but i'm a named driver (i didn't want a 3rd car in my name lol)