The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New wannabe Member.

kurkjones

Hi everyone, I'm glad to have found this website!

I have decided to man up and take on a Supra, I have had MR2 turbos for years and have always aspired for the Supra.

I'm still on the hunt for the right one just now but would love to see what people on the forum have to offer or even to show for added inspiration.

I stay on the Isle of Skye but am certainly willing to travel for the right car.

My last MR2 turbo I picked up from King's Lynn, nowhere in the UK is too far to travel for the right motor!

So yeah, just drop me a PM if you are thinking of selling up etc.

Thanks again.

Kurk.

Hi Kurk, if your about at the end of August there will be around 10-15 Supras on the Isle of Skye with our annual run up there. If you haven't found one by then I'm sure we could arrange for you to have a spin in one or two just to confirm your mind about buying one lol.

Best thing to do is to pay the £10 membership, not only does it give you access to the classifieds page but there's a whole host of knowledge on here.

Keep your eye out for a decent one, don't rush in and good luck in the search!

Hi Kurk, if your about at the end of August there will be around 10-15 Supras on the Isle of Skye with our annual run up there. If you haven't found one by then I'm sure we could arrange for you to have a spin in one or two just to confirm your mind about buying one lol.

Best thing to do is to pay the £10 membership, not only does it give you access to the classifieds page but there's a whole host of knowledge on here.

Keep your eye out for a decent one, don't rush in and good luck in the search!

Ah great. That would be awesome if I haven't found one by then yeah.

I'll go about signing up tomorrow so I can make full use of the membership and website.

I've loved the look of these cars since I was a little boy and bought one as soon as I could on Gran Turismo!

Thanks.

Thanks for the welcoming guys.

I'm currently looking at an NA auto. Ready for a single turbo. It's more in my budget and where I live having a TT really might be wasted. It's got 70k miles and FSH since manufactured in Japan. Only been in UK since 2009. What you all think it should be worth without me mentioning all mods etc. HPI clear.

Who else is in Scotland? :)

A TT wasted where you live? Have you driven around Skye lol. Why do you think we come up every year there's some great roads!

Personally I'd save up and hold out for a TT, a single conversion isn't cheap if done right and if going from an MR2 Turbo to an NA Supe you'll find it sluggish in comparison.

It's up to you at the end of the day though.

NA's range anywhere from £2k for a dog upto around the £6k mark for an excellent condition example. Gearboxes vary the prices also.

Welcome kurk!

Where abouts on Skye are you?

You've had some good advice with regards to what car to look for. I would agree you want to be looking at a TT. Don't discount the autos too.

Nothing wrong with looking at NA's if that's your budget, but the TT can really be enjoyed up where you are, and also it's quite well mannered off boost for the single track roads.

I understand that the roads are brill up here but I would feel bad about taking the car out in, not so great, conditions. Like through Winter - the roads are a mess. I would just have to part with it over them months.

The MR2 turbo truly is a different kind of machine, it's so agile and uncut, and I see what you mean on how the NA might feel like not much of a step forward now. The TT's are just such an expense I would be gutted if it wasn't what I'd hoped for after spending all the cash, but I mean, c'mon, it's a Supra! Doubt there is any disappointment! I'm just being too cautious maybe.

Perhaps getting a spin out when the MK4 club come to Skye this year would be the best bet, especially since my partner and I are going through a house move at the minute too, funds have got to be a bit prioritised to that first. Heart has been set on the TT since I was just a boy playing Gran Turismo, so maybe better keeping it that way!

Anyone comment on how the road holding and general fun factor of the TT is, in comparison to an MR2 turbo? (If anyone here has had both, would be great to know.) Not many on the MR2 forums have got Supra's.

Marcus, I stay in UIG, right up the north where the Ferry comes in to take people out to the Outer Isles.

Oh and also, where do I find how to join in with the subscriptions? Can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Edited by kurkjones
Added question. (see edit history)

Thanks Frank, will get setup just now.

Also... when looking for a TT, which is more fun... Auto or Manual? Thanks.

No problem :)

:rlol: You have just managed to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire, with that last question :taped:

Every Supra owner has his or her own opinion about which is best at the end of the day it comes down to budget and potential future plans. You are best trying to get a ride in all 3 variations, Auto, Tiptronic & Manual and making your own decision. Also throw TT and single into the mix.

Autos are great and are at the cheaper end of the market. They are unlike your usual Auto cars but the box is limited with how much Torque it can take. You can buy upgraded parts to strengthen them or an upgraded box. There is also an option offered by two of the Traders (Whifbitz & SRD) on here to fit an entirely new box but that is major work and will need the Syvecs standalone to run it "correctly".

The 6 speed costs considerably more to start with, prices in Japan are rising rapidly and they are becoming extremely hard to find in good condition. Supply and demand at it's finest. You can upgrade an Auto to a 6 speed at a later date but with the prices only going one way you are better to but a manual to start with if this is what you want.

I don't think anyone had ever destroyed a 6 speed, although if anyone has it is likely to be JamieP.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Haha oops!

How many miles would anyone reckon is a decent amount on the engines?

Like there is a Supra for sale with the 6 speed manual gearbox and it has 140k miles on it. Asking £8250.

And there is an auto with 79K miles asking £10k.

Any info would be appreciated on the life of the engines. Anything under £10k is ideally the budget I am looking for.

Thanks.

I'd be very surprised if you would find a decent TT6 for under 10K nowadays, that is a decent budget for a good condition auto. These cars are getting on in age now 23 years old for the first on the market and 14 years old for the last. Ideally you want something without a bodykit so you can see exactly what condition the bodywork is in, you need to get the car up in the air to check the underside for rust and also the condition of the other components.

Don't be put off by mileage either, a well cared for example will go on and on.

Can you post up some links to the cars you have been looking at?

I'd be very surprised if you would find a decent TT6 for under 10K nowadays, that is a decent budget for a good condition auto. These cars are getting on in age now 23 years old for the first on the market and 14 years old for the last. Ideally you want something without a bodykit so you can see exactly what condition the bodywork is in, you need to get the car up in the air to check the underside for rust and also the condition of the other components.

Don't be put off by mileage either, a well cared for example will go on and on.

Can you post up some links to the cars you have been looking at?

I'll private message you some as if I post out to public others might buy them too! Haha.

I'll private message you some as if I post out to public others might buy them too! Haha.

Replied but it will be better to post the links in this thread as you will get input from all members not just me. You might also get lucky and find the car is a well known example :)

Also, this car is well worth a look as you don't seem offended by Silver - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?330075-GZ-Aerotop-REALISTIC-OFFERS-MUST-SELL

Kurk, I've owned both a 300bhp rev3 MR2 tubby and my current TT BPU Supra.

The MR2, as you know, is loads of fun and the acceleration in them is brutal.... But you'll find the supra a whole different beast, especially at BPU levels (circa 400bhp @ 1.2 bar depending on mods etc) and the handling I'd say is better than the MR2 if maybe a little less nimble. The Supra hasn't surprised me as often as my MR2 used to when on the limit (and I drive hard lol).

With regards to your question about engines, these blocks are pretty solid and have been known to go on past 150k without issues.

Obviously the more mods will always put strain on the components, but there's a lot of people running 600-700bhp on a stock engine block and all is going well (hence the reputation of the 2JZ for tuning).

Ideally you want an example which has been well maintained and has good history so that you will have less to hopefully worry about.

I'd hold out for a TT after the house move if you can, don't rush in and buy the first thing you see as tempting as it may be, because getting the right car will keep putting a smile on your face every time you get into it!

• 3 months later...