The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When will people start refitting original alloy wheels?

rider

As the Supra enters the vintage car era the historic value which usually translates into money value is invariably driven by originality. Of parts and to the specification as the car left the factory in terms of matching number mechanical components, original trim and factory colour. I'd venture when all the modified Supras have been mangled or scrapped the last few examples will all be original specification cars attracting big money. That'll be really serious money. One thing that is going to be really hard to find in the future, its getting hard now, is those cast off 16 and 17 inch factory alloy wheels. These will be key to the factory look and I recon people need to grab some while they still can before its too late if they view their Supra as a collectable classic.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just bought 7 X 16 inch rims including 6 centre caps off eBay for £51. Not seen them yet as a relative local to the seller picked them up for me but I should be able to get a good 4 set out of those and its an absolute bargain. I actually think in about 10 years time they will add £thousands to the value of the car which happens to be a totally original parts Supra at the moment, except for running on BBS alloys. After 18 years of ownership I'm going to be holding out a few more years for that really big ticket value I can see coming and I think the OE wheels are a key element to the package. I've been after a set for years but this lot came up at more than the right price.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Its already started, there's some guy on the FB group looking for £600 for a set refurbed in black with NO centre caps......the supra tax robbery continues......

Unfortunately, prices for things like this are only going to go up as the prices of the cars continue to climb.

Its already started, there's some guy on the FB group looking for £600 for a set refurbed in black with NO centre caps......the supra tax robbery continues......

Damn it, I had three sets at one point and then sold them all off, for a half that :shock:

I dont think he will get £600 tbh. Thats pushing the boat too far. Another European seller so of course they are in "mint " condition and super rare...... for 25 year old parts

The problem is when people say there are mint when they're clearly not.

They could use the term good, few marks or bad need a refurb/polish due to scratches

I bet some of the importers weighed in tons of the things when blinging them up. To have never driven a MKIV on 16 inch rims and decent tyres is to not have lived. Especially in the wet they are just SO nice....

Driving on stock 17s and Good tyres is so smooth compared to 18s IMO and 19s are just silly