The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Planned upgrades to my current setup in April

Sheefa

Now going for 800rwhp and have decided on final spec.

Car will be going to SRD at some point in late April for the the turbo and fuelling upgrades. My power goal is around 800rwhp and I want a fast spooling street setup, don't mind sacrificing a bit at top end.

Car currently has the Powerhouse Racing Stage 3 kit installed with a 71mm turbo and makes 560fwhp at 1.5bar but it's slightly old tech although I really don't find it laggy and buckets of power left. It is the dual bearing option too and water and oil cooled. Now for sale.

Anyway, final spec list is now as follows........

OS Gilken LSD Large Case Diff

ASNU 1100 Injectors

Precision 6466 Gen 2 Turbo.

Twin 485 Walbro Pumps

New Custom Fuel Lines

Syvecs Toucan

Syvecs Fuel pressure sensor

Syvecs Oil Temp sensor

SRD Stage 2 269 Cams

HKS LA Twin Clutch

Fuel Flex Sensor & Ethanol

The car will be visiting a local body shop to have one of the front wings resprayed due to stone chipping and the whole car will be mopped and polished. I am tempted to fit a DoLuck front and TRD wing as I love the look but still undecided.

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Sheefa
Finalised mods (see edit history)

Some nice upgrades there mate. Your car has a built engine doesn't it? Would be a real shame not to use it's potential :sly:

Id go with the 6266 if I was looking for 600 - 700, but atleast you know the engine can take a 6466 if you want more.

What diff do you have currently? The Giken is a nice unit, has a slight noise on overun but never hops or makes strange noises. It has helped tranform my car, so much more predictable and enjoyable. The rest of the plans are great too, it just depends how hard / easy you can justify everything to yourself.

6266 all day for the turbo. It's proven and you'll most likely spool earlier, too.

Have you got the oil pressure monitored already? If not, add that along with oil temperature and fuel pressure.

Not entirely sure a rear diffuser would work, given aerodynamics and the speed they need to work. Maybe put that towards to Michelin rubber?

What's the current state of your brakes? What's on there?

sounds like some geat changes you are planning, I'll be interested to see what clutch you go with, my current set up sounds like a bag of spanners and is more suitable for track than street.....pretty harsh/overkill for what I need :(

Thanks Matt. I'm siding with the HKS but cost is a little off-putting purely because this is a weekend toy. I'll keep you posted mate. :)

Some nice upgrades there mate. Your car has a built engine doesn't it? Would be a real shame not to use it's potential :sly:

Id go with the 6266 if I was looking for 600 - 700, but atleast you know the engine can take a 6466 if you want more.

What diff do you have currently? The Giken is a nice unit, has a slight noise on overun but never hops or makes strange noises. It has helped tranform my car, so much more predictable and enjoyable. The rest of the plans are great too, it just depends how hard / easy you can justify everything to yourself.

Thanks mate, yes fully built engine and I certainly know it's capable of taking 950bhp+ given it has been used in a drag car! :) Engine has covered sub 10k miles and is very strong. I'm seriously thinking about trying the journal 6266 and seeing how I get one.

That's good to know re the Gilken, can't wait to try it out on the track and road to be fair ! Thanks for the positive feedback mate. ;)

6266 all day for the turbo. It's proven and you'll most likely spool earlier, too.

Have you got the oil pressure monitored already? If not, add that along with oil temperature and fuel pressure.

Not entirely sure a rear diffuser would work, given aerodynamics and the speed they need to work. Maybe put that towards to Michelin rubber?

What's the current state of your brakes? What's on there?

Thanks Johnny and agree. Oil Pressure is on and hooked up to Syvecs yes as are most other sensors. No idea what fuel pressure and temp weren't fitted at the time.

I like the look of a rear diffuser as rest of bodywork is stock so something a little different without modifying heavily.

UK brake setup and very happy with them. Discs may need replacing soon so thank you for reminding me. Don't think I'll go any bigger at the moment. ;)

Best of luck with the planned upgrades, didn't take long.

Does it suffer with turbo lag at present?

Your other half must love you :D

Thanks mate. Not massive lag, in fact full boost by around 4,600rpm from memory but just feel like a different and quicker setup. The Mrs doesn't know I'm spanking the cash here.......I'll get the work done whilst we're on holiday :) :)

I love the TRD wing and do luck front look as well. Exactly what I had on mine for a while, with TRD skirts too.

Exactly Gaz, done right they can look wonderful. I was thinking the above with Stillen or OEM skirts and Spats. I love the look of UK Rich's old car.

Cheers all.

Isn't the 6466 gen2 rated for 800? Ive been considering both these turbos as well but won't be decided until Lee opens the engine up and let's me know what's what. But will a 6266 achieve 700+ or will it always be that 5hp off of 700? At the wheels.

May stick with the boost logic t67 but it's like yours old tech

I love stock wings seems everyone goes TRD. Looks great though but personal choice. What rear defuse are you looking at? I like the top secret one ;)

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

Isn't the 6466 gen2 rated for 800? Ive been considering both these turbos as well but won't be decided until Lee opens the engine up and let's me know what's what. But will a 6266 achieve 700+ or will it always be that 5hp off of 700? At the wheels.

I love stock wings seems everyone goes TRD. Looks great though but personal choice. What rear defuse are you looking at? I like the top secret one ;)

The 6266 is rated to 800 hp and the 6466 is rated to 900 but in reality they both will fall slightly shy of those HP's at top end. Most people are hitting 700 at the fly on pump fuel whereas the 6466 will hit higher numbers with the right supporting mods.

GTX3582R would be perfect, if going single again I would go Garrett. I honestly don't know what the fascination with Precision is, be different and do it with style :)

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbocharger#GTX3582R

If you want to be different again go to Owen Developments and get their M-Spec GTX3582.

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/product/393/Owen_Developments_M-Spec_Turbos/

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Links added. (see edit history)

When i first bought my car the plan was to go Do-Luck front and trial rear, i know it's a common combo but i still think it's beautiful :D I'd agree with the other guys saying 6266 as well mate if you're after roughly 700. It's made that already on several cars, and it's the turbo i'll more than likely be going for one day......

Yes mate stock wing is great but love the more aggressive look of TRD :)

Making good use of that redundancy packet are you Sir ;)

I bet it's a nice feeling speccing a load of parts when a month or so ago you weren't sure what the future held..

It sure is mate! I am stashing a few G's for this without the Mrs knowing. What she doesn't know can't hurt her and she is getting her new dining table and chairs, a holiday and a few other things out of this :)

The 6266 is rated to 800 hp and the 6466 is rated to 900 but in reality they both will fall slightly shy of those HP's at top end. Most people are hitting 700 at the fly on pump fuel whereas the 6466 will hit higher numbers with the right supporting mods.

Thanks John, that's good to know. I would hope to hit around 750 at the fly on 6266, maybe with fuel flex and Ethanol.

GTX3582R would be perfect, if going single again I would go Garrett. I honestly don't know what the fascination with Precision is, be different and do it with style :)

If you want to be different again go to Owen Developments and get their M-Spec GTX3582.

They have been recommended a few times before mate. I guess I am going down the tried and tested route. I shall explore further mind ! ;)

When i first bought my car the plan was to go Do-Luck front and trial rear, i know it's a common combo but i still think it's beautiful :D I'd agree with the other guys saying 6266 as well mate if you're after roughly 700. It's made that already on several cars, and it's the turbo i'll more than likely be going for one day......

It is a killer combo mate, massively miss my Trial Rear on blue Supra. If done right it looks awesome. DoLuck is great with wide mouth and love how indicators sink in. Just looks like a smooth aggressive setup without being too much.

Re the turbo, thanks mate and I do think that will be my likely option.

Now order a Ridox.....:)

It's because the precision out performs the garret in everyway, spool quicker and make more power

Jamie P hit 780 fly wheel hp on the duck using ethanol I believe and he was a stock vvti

Thanks mate, will go for the 6266 now.

Never mind all that.... get it on the track:)

Weather is drying up and I will DEFINITELY get on one soon mate, certainly after car is done with new Diff fitted. I shall be on gardening leave over March so perhaps a cheeky one then ? Let me know.

If you go 6466 you will want 1500cc asnu not 1100cc otherwise you won't max the turbo out as you will run out of fuel. And if you're not gonna max the turbo out what's the point? Go with the 6266

Agreed. I'm going with the 6266. Cheers.

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

Really? I'd be interested to see some dyno readouts if you could post some :)

Just do some searching and you will see

I supply Lee at Devil Developments.

He used garret for years on the Fords, now on the new ST's and RS's

He confirmed the same, he's stopped using garret and uses precision as the equivalent turbo spools faster and makes more power.

Just do some searching and you will see

I supply Lee at Devil Developments.

He used garret for years on the Fords, now on the new ST's and RS's

He confirmed the same, he's stopped using garret and uses precision as the equivalent turbo spools faster and makes more power.

I have looked but unfortunately I am yet to find a spreadsheet with specific points on the torque curve at 3k, 3.5k, 4k, 4.5k,5k & 5.5k.

Looking at the independent info out there they appear to be within 5% of each other assuming you are comparing apples to apples. But you never are when you take a really close look at the specs of the turbochargers.

They always have differing wheel sizes by 1-2mm. Sometimes they have the same inducer size but their exducer is larger causing the Trim to be greater.

To be fair knowing this it’s really hard to say what company is making the best turbochargers. Just by enlarging the wheels exducer, pushing the turbo to have a higher trim, we know would then favour more efficiency at higher boost levels while loosing efficiency at lower P.R. levels.

You can abuse Garrett turbos and they just keep asking for more. Precision makes a great compressor wheel but it seems that oil seal issues & reliability problems are still a lot more common than they should be.

PTE 6262 vs GTX3582R there's nothing in it performance wise really. Most comparisons are on EVo's, and people seem pretty evenly divided on what is the best performer. There's very little info around on the GTX range fitted to Supras. Not sure if Garrett have a direct equivalent to the PTE 6266, but that is certainly the stand out turbo of the Precision range for me, it just seems to be an amazing all rounder.

Like most things, if you find a brand that you particularly like, stick with it and you won't go far wrong. :)

We havnt had any issues with the new range only the first units we did 6 years ago but agree, back then they were not reliable.

We only had one though and that was on Jamies first turbo on the black beast. Back then I called them chocolate turbos :D

They have one me over after that though and the performance really is good.

I will try and get some dyno graphs from Lee as he may have some back to back comparisons

As said the new GTX range hasn't been used alot on the supra so hard to get back to back results on them.

People will use what they know and there is nothing wrong with that.

Garret are great turbo chargers and one main benefit is being able to get them rebuilt in the UK quickly.

That's one thing that unfortunately precision are not good with, luckily though we have not had any new units go wrong.

I have looked but unfortunately I am yet to find a spreadsheet with specific points on the torque curve at 3k, 3.5k, 4k, 4.5k,5k & 5.5k.

Looking at the independent info out there they appear to be within 5% of each other assuming you are comparing apples to apples. But you never are when you take a really close look at the specs of the turbochargers.

They always have differing wheel sizes by 1-2mm. Sometimes they have the same inducer size but their exducer is larger causing the Trim to be greater.

To be fair knowing this it’s really hard to say what company is making the best turbochargers. Just by enlarging the wheels exducer, pushing the turbo to have a higher trim, we know would then favour more efficiency at higher boost levels while loosing efficiency at lower P.R. levels.

You can abuse Garrett turbos and they just keep asking for more. Precision makes a great compressor wheel but it seems that oil seal issues & reliability problems are still a lot more common than they should be.

• 4 weeks later...

Change of plan, now going to go with 6466, twin fuel pumps and upgraded lines. Going to stick with 1100cc injectors though as at 80% DC I'll still be good for 900fwhp. I don't see it necessary to go to 1500cc.

Going to aim for 700rwhp.