The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank locking tool

MattP

*Tried locking the flywheel didn't work I don't really have anything to do it properly without fear of breaking something.

*Air Gun didn't work

*Starter trick didn't work

Even if any of the above worked they still would not let me tighten the bolt back up after properly.

The pulley was off last year and a new bolt is in at the correct Tq there is no thread lock on before anyone asks.

Wow the starter didnt get it off , I dont think a locking tool will help you get it off then ? Is your battery good?

I made a locking tool out of a 1/4 inch plate with a hole big enough for a socket and then the 2 m8 bolt holes with the correct size bolts I could tighten it to the pulley,but there is no way your going to hold it more then what the starter would want to turn the engine,

Try and take your spark plugs out so the compression doesnt cause a resistance and should fly off.

I made a lock tool with a piece of steel flat bar drilled for the bolts in the pulley, and cut out for the nut, braced on the ground like the breaker bar trick, and a breaker bar with a six foot scaffold bar, came undone no problem, same method to tighten.

How do you know you got the right amount of ftlbs on the bolt when tightening?

Or was it your best guess?

The starter trick didn't work for me.

So I put it in gear and used a scaffold pole as a lever on my torque wrench.

Me one side, dad the other and it came off great

I don't think it works on auto only manual.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't used a torque wrench in the last thirty years for anything but rod or head bolts, my torque wrench is built in.;)

Hillbilly :D

No skilled! I haven't unintentionally stripped a thread, broke a bolt or had anything come undone in all that time.;)

I just ordered some decent m8 bolts as I bent the steel ones I bought I already bought the flat bar to make the tool but I can't easily mock it up until my new pulley turns up.

Mehh no rush I suppose car won't see the road until May anyway.