The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for megasquirt insight and gte internals!

S30

Like the title says I'm new here and looking for info on ms settings, base maps, etc. Looking into upgrading my ms2 into a 3 + expansion. Right now I'm currently running a locked out dizzy with an optical sensor trigger and a crane cdi box for spark.

So plans now would be to upgrade ecu and then get a trigger wheel for the crank sensor. Looking at driftmotions site they have two options for timing gears; vvti w/ 36-2 and a non-vvti w/ 12 tooth. My question is that I have a ge vvti block that im I'm looking to swap rods n pistons so what's the difference here between the timing gears? They look nearly identical besides the trigger wheel... I'm assuming id need the vvti one? Also will just a crank sensor suffice or do I need a cam position sensor as well? Ive seen that some people swap in a 7m cps for this which im I'm assuming the ms3 can already decode?

Should also mention that this motor wont be going into a mkiv.. As much as I wish I had one funds are low right now and maybe some day ill pick one up but until then I can just afford the drivetrain;) motor will be going into a 75 280z hence the "s30" username. Car just got fresh skim costs on all the panels and she'll be going into the booth soon for a fresh cost of Oxford white:)

Sorry for the short intro that probably littered with grammatical errors but its 4am here and im I'm ready to go to bed! Nice meeting yall and I hope to see some responses soon!

Edited by Josh42 (see edit history)

Pay your £10 yearly fee or £30 lifetime membership fee and your be able to post in classified and wanted sections and your be able to pm people.

We love pictures and I love z cars would love to see it :)

Just went ahead and got the lifetime membership! And it turns out I'm terrible at taking pictures of my car and progress that has been made... I have two pics of it before all the body work was started that I'll post up when I get home (work wont let me access files on their network).

I've edited your post as per rules mate. You need to pay your membership fee of £10 per year to be able to advertise for parts/post in the classifieds section.

Sounds like an interesting project, I do love a Z car!

Like mentioned above; went ahead and got the "lifetime" membership. Yeah, I'm pretty excited to get the car put back together and driving even with the l28 while I'm collecting go fast parts:P Having a hell of a time trying to decide on what I want the final goal to be... I don't want to be that guy that changes his mind every few months and have to sell and buy different set ups! So right now the plans are to run about 500whp through an r154.. got a buddy with an evo that might be giving me a good deal on a 6266 so that should get me there no problem!

A pre VVTI timing cog will give a useable CPS and a 7M-GTE CPS will give camshaft signal or/and crank too.

Hmm, I'll have to look into this.. so are the timing cogs are interchangeable between all the motors? I was under the impression that the cranks are the same between vvti, non vvti, and turbo vs non turbo. Am I wrong? Also do you know if its possible to run just one or the other? That is either a crank sensor OR a cam sensor? Or do I need both? Haven't messed with the megasquirt for a few months so I'm trying to square everything out in my head before I dive into it again!

Edited by S30 (see edit history)

The cog option allows you to remove the cam sensor from the dizzy. 7m cps is easier option granted. Hut you're still run into common problems with cam selection

What's your gain from it. Remove the dizzy?

There are now non vvti ge cams on the market. If you did indeed go 7m cps and coils you'd have options for cams and not have to change any cogs.

Depends how hard you want to make it or how much you want to spend.