The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ignition Barrel Removal

Rob W

Hi guys,

I bought a steering column off of Brendan P but he didn't send out the key with it. After saying he will send the key out to me, 3 weeks on and no sign of it.

Does anyone know if there is another way for me to get the barrel out without making a mess of the carrier?

Cheers

Rob

It seems like you aren't the only person to have an issue with recent purchases from this member. IIRC there was a thread on the US site showing you how to do this. I looks like you need they key unless you want to break it or drill it out.

E2A

If it's like any other one i've changed you should be able to take the cover off the
steering column
and then put the key in the cylinder turn it one click forward. Then take a paperclip and there should be a pin hole on the bottom somewhere that you can stick the paperclip into and then will allow you to just pull the whole cylinder out with the key. Then to install just stick the key in the new cylinder and turn it one notch forward, push the cylinder into the column and turn the key back and pull it out and all should be good.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Info added. (see edit history)

Yea I must admit I'm not impressed.

I thought that might be the case. On the US forum someone said you can punch the pin into the barrel and it should then pull out. It will wreck the barrel but my current one will be going in anyway. If not drilling it out looks the only option.

Cheers for the info Frank :thumbs:

On other steering locks I have had this issue with, and I am going from hazy memories, you have to drill in just the right place and as someone just said, punch the barrel anti removal pin into the barrel to allow it to be pulled out. Sometimes glovebox locks had a key number on them, on some cars, to allow a new key to be cut. A good locksmith could probably pick it. So could a few scousers ;)

Yea I must admit I'm not impressed.

I thought that might be the case. On the US forum someone said you can punch the pin into the barrel and it should then pull out. It will wreck the barrel but my current one will be going in anyway. If not drilling it out looks the only option.

Cheers for the info Frank :thumbs:

Before knackering it why not open up a dispute, it's one of the reasons you pay the membership fee. It may also help the other member that has one open get some resolution also :)

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

Well good news, just had a message off my brother saying he's got it out by just punching the pin in. So atleast if anyone is ever in the same position they know what to do.

Before knackering it why not open up a dispute, it's one of the reasons you pay the membership fee. It may also help the other member that has one open get some resolution also :)

I was thinking about it mate but I didn't want to straight away if I could avoid it as its a drawn out process and I just want to fit it. Atleast I can get it into the car now.

Thanks again guys.