The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wated tt mk4 supra

Guest djfoxs

Here it goes am looking for a ether auto or manual , not fussed about the colour as long as the paint is in good condition . Ideally no rust , modification welcomed but not essensial . just looking for a nice clean example, no body smoothed bodykits and goes without saying the lower the milage the beter

budget 12k max

thanks

Tried to pm you djfoxs but doesn't look like gone through. I am looking to sell my 98 mkiv jspec tt auto. It has just passed 86000 miles. It's black, British headlights, mph conversion, active front spoiler, currently on ASA wheels but I do still have the original supra wheels. I've owned for two years with zero problems and lots of embarrassing 'fast cars'! Is a cat C repair on rear wing but insurance companies would make any repair on a Supra a Cat C!

I'm looking for 10-10,500. If you're interested I'm happy to answer any questions and can provide photos of my much loved road rocket.

Mad627

The Cat C repair was before I got her two years ago! Been driven very well since! 10k for low mile mechanically sound late model tt. I'll have to upload the photos

cat c damge is major/structual chassis damag which needs to be pulled back using a jig. A fully smashed in back end with panels needing replacing would be recorded as a cat d.

Wrong

As an example, a Cat D write off could be a ten-year-old car with a dent. Insurers are bound to go through official repair channels - on older cars this can be expensive and so the price of a new door to the insurer would be £800. As the list price of the car is only £1,000 the insurer decides it's uneconomical to carry out the repair and writes the car off. However, a private buyer could very easily salvage a door from a scrap vehicle for, say, £50, and fit it themselves. The car can then be sold on provided it's clearly noted as a Cat D write-off.

An example of a Cat C write-off would be a car worth £1,000 with a dent that costs £1,200 to fix. If the car is repaired and put back on the road, a Vehicle Identity Check is required from the DVSA for the car to be taxable, and thus roadworthy. However this test does not check if the car has been repaired properly - so if you are looking to buy one then get a mechanic to check the car over for you first.

That said a cat c is generally worth half of what a non CAT C car is regardless of repairs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209280[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]209281[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]209279[/ATTACH]

This are a few of the photos just before I took ownership.[ATTACH=CONFIG]209282[/ATTACH]

Without getting involved in the specific pricing of this car whilst a cat c car is far from ideal some people go way over the top, there could easily be a Supra out there with no category at all that has at some point had worse damage repaired.

Someone malicious with their foot and a set of keys could make almost any of our cars a cat c in 5 mins, it won't make it a bad car if it subsequently gets repaired. No doubt it can effect the price but 50% is over the top imo.

The problem is scooter, the level of CAT C is nearly always unknown. Agreed a supra vs a key would end in a CAT C. However a supra meeting a pole would also end in the same. Unless the damage is documented with photos and the repair is done in the same manner there is really no way of telling how bad the damage was or what level the repair was carried out to.

I stand by my estimate of the value of a CAT C car.

That said i did a search and turned up this

"Cat D is 30% and cat C 40% reduction in retail..

That's how insurance view it"

I dont know for sure thats correct, by any means. I guess it comes down to its worth what ever someone is willing to pay

Thanks for the constructive feedback Scooter and Raven, so going on what a tt is going for at the moment what would you suggest being a price to put on my pride and joy?

All the percentages are just an estimate anyway.

I agree with Raven you need to know what happened especially to judge the price, all I'm saying is a category rating is just another thing to take into consideration.

My positive example, say you have a stock 50k mile tt6 original paint that is a bit stone chipped and there has been a paint reaction on the roof. You are preparing for a full resprayed in time but kinda living with it. Let's say it's worth £10k

Scenario 1 you simply get it resprayed spend x000's and its worth maybe £11k as it's fresh

Scenario 2 it gets keyed, you shrug and get it resprayed as it was on the cards anyway, still worth £11k

Scenario 3 it gets keyed, you claim on insurance it gets cat c'd it's worth what after a respray!?

No reason in these circumstances it's not worth close to the same.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mad627

Update on why I've got a cat c, the previous owner hit a bollard in an asda car park causing the rear right wing to be pushed in behind the fuel cap. This was repaired by fabricating section of wing and joined in. NO JIGGING required. Am I still smoking crack?

Not at all, sadly doesn't matter what happened, it's still cat C .. so therefore doesn't command premium bucks. You might be lucky and find some on who will pay top price once they have seen the photos of the damage after the Bollard incident and that the repairs have been done to high quality.. maybee. I appreciate not wanting to give your car away of course but realistically if you advertise it as cat C don't expect what you originally said.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.