The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo Oil Feed Lines

np89

I wanted to start a thread here to see what sort of oil feed lines the single guys are running.

I have a Boost Labs S366HF (journal bearing), the previous install (which we will not go into right now) had an oil feed line which was somewhere between a -4 and -5 line apparently according to Faye at Speedflow when I sent her it. I was in contact with the guys from Boost Labs and they reckoned a -4 or -3 line would be fine for my turbo and steered more towards -3 as they find the -4 can sometimes feed too much oil to the turbo and therefore -3 should be fine.

So I got Faye to make me up a -3 line and currently am installing that.

The reason I am asking is actually just after looking at Gaz's thread this morning and seeing that his oil feed line looks significantly bigger than mine and I wondered why. What is the general opinion on the size of an oil feed line?

His exact words were:

"We normally run -4 on the 2JZ GTE but in certain cases it flows a little bit too much. I believe the -3 will be sufficient."

"You need 1/4" NPT to -3 or -4. We've ran both without issues, but it all depends on the application. I would not suggest an oil restrictor"

Well, if he says a -4 hose can supply too much oil and to use a -3 he *IS* effectively suggesting an oil restrictor.

Most OE turbos use hard lines and they are the equivalent of a -4 braided hose.

Mmm well yes i suppose that is true. As long as it flows enough oil so as not to kill the turbo I will be happy. Have already had one dead turbo, definitely do not need another!lol