The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Little bit of turbo help

gavin.starr

I have a HKS T04Z turbo with a divided exhaust housing and a non divided exhaust manifold, I've read somewhere that it is not the best setup to run as the divide on the turbo exhaust housing can get worn away and potentially crack the housing. Can any one shed some definitive light on the area, as the manifold is constructed quite well it just has some bolt alignment issues that i have managed to correct it seems a shame to bin it in favor of a divided one.

Would it be more favorable to buy a new turbo exhaust housing? I dunno.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Gav

I have run a divided exhaust housing on a non divided cast manifold and the divider did crack.

Didn't seem to cause an issue but when ordering a replacement housing I opted of an open non divided unit.

I would never recommend using a divided gasket in a non divided setup as it could end up through the turbo.

Any idea of where would be best to get a replacement housing from as that was going to be my next point of call.

The T04Z is made for HKS by Garrett, I would expect a standard Garrett turbine housing to fit but I don't know for sure.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-055&Category_Code=GTB

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=tp&Category_Code=GTH

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?327195-Hair-line-crack-on-HKS-T04Z-Turbo-Housing-what-to-do&highlight=Brazil

Luiz had this very issue, discovered when he parted the turbo from the manifold.

Some pictures of the issue are within the thread, and he may be able to help what he did to resolve the problem.

Edited by Pudsey (see edit history)

IMO it is essential to ONLY use turbos with a turbine housing cast in high nickel content cast iron. Most are not, and some are even diesel turbine housings, designed for FAR lower EGT's. Garrett specify which turbos are available with these high nickel content housings, and they call the material Ni-Resist. It doesn't crack, doesn't scale and flake and erode the turbing wheel, and doesn't warp at the manifold flange. Volvo owners are bolting cheap Holset turbos on, which are diesel turbos, then wondering why the turbine wheels look like a rat has chewed them, and why they warp and crack. As for the junk on Ebay, well, it's not even worth considering, just a waste of time. It's this sort of stuff that makes for a reliable build or a host of issues that leave you fed up and breaking the car.

I have thought about it but in all honesty like chris says the need to be made of propper stuff, Plus if stick a plate between the turbo housing and the manifold (usually around 10mm thick) it will throw out all of the pipework for the plumbed back in wastgate pipe .

All i need is the exhaust side of the housing as an open type to replace my divided type just to keep things simple.