The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Parasistic Draw and Alternator issue

Notts_TT

Hi everyone

My supra has been sat and not run for probably 2 years.

Today I went to jump it off my van and hooked up leads and started, it started straight away, when I pulled off leads it cutout. Jumped again and noticed volt gauge was jumping all over between 4 volts and 14 volts.

So I put battery on charge and car started immediately and purred away beautifully.

Checked output on battery and it was at 12.6 ish so guess Alts not charging, 120a fuse looks ok too.

I also did a parasistic drain test and it came out at 0.35 on 10amp setting which I think is high, pulled AM2 fuse and it dropped to 0.18.

What could this be ??? Something wired to ignition ???

Thanks

Dan

The draw is too high, but if I had to guess I'd say the main issue is that the battery is knackered.

Take it down to your local Halfrauds, and get them to do a battery health test on it. Iirc the battery voltage should be something like 14.5v if it's healthy.

Once you've sorted that, remove any obviously added wires from the battery + terminal, and if there's an aftermarket alarm, try disconnecting that too. failing that, start pulling fuses from the engine bay and cabin fuse boxes, it should be obvious where the issue is coming from.

In my experience, these issues are almost always caused by aftermarket goodies such as alarms, stereos/amps, HID headlights etc.

You'll need to figure out what is on the am2 circuit, to establish which item is causing the draw, but it is definitely too high.

It sounds like your alternator isn't charging correctly either. Check the 3 pin wiring plug first, and test for continuity on the wires. If they come back ok, then you may need to replace your alternator, or have it rebuilt