The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gathering interest on dads engine

Supraleeturbo

As some of you may no my dad brought jakes (ripped-fears) car last yer and now will be putting the na engine up for sale with all the shiney bits ect bar the bay boxes and rad, the engine is very strong and made 225bhp last sat, dad has a folder full of repcits with all the bits done to the engine is all new sills and water pump ect. Now he is only selling due to getting a 2jz gte and fully rebuilding it ect,

Price for the complete engine and other bits ect is £1000 I know this is strong money but for a low mileage engine that's basically wants for nothing and is in show condition I think the price is fair.

As some of you may no my dad brought jakes (ripped-fears) car last yer and now will be putting the na engine up for sale with all the shiney bits ect bar the bay boxes and rad, the engine is very strong and made 225bhp last sat, dad has a folder full of repcits with all the bits done to the engine is all new sills and water pump ect. Now he is only selling due to getting a 2jz gte and fully rebuilding it ect,

Price for the complete engine and other bits ect is £1000 I know this is strong money but for a low mileage engine that's basically wants for nothing and is in show condition I think the price is fair.

"Strong money"?? - more like Ludacris money, an NA engine is worth £150 tops and you'd be lucky to get that, people can't give them away!

I'm afraid I have to concur with NP89, though in a less abrupt fashion :D

You might get £500 if you can find the right buyer. But that is still going to be unlikely.

To be honest, this is probably one of the few cars that would probably benefit more from NA-T than a TT swap. The gearbox means you can't exploit the advantages of a GTE anyway. Something like a Whifbitz or Powerhouse racing NAT kit and a used apexi power fc would be perfect.

You might get £500 if you can find the right buyer. But that is still going to be unlikely.

To be honest, this is probably one of the few cars that would probably benefit more from NA-T than a TT swap. The gearbox means you can't exploit the advantages of a GTE anyway. Something like a Whifbitz or Powerhouse racing NAT kit and a used apexi power fc would be perfect.

Lol its been a long week, my temper is short and I'm waiting to leave the office and head to the airport!

Those who know me, know I mean no harm, and every one else just thinks im a c-unit! Lol

"Strong money"?? - more like Ludacris money, an NA engine is worth £150 tops and you'd be lucky to get that, people can't give them away!

Put down the funny cigarettes.

True, the GE engine is significantly cheaper compared to GTE, but prices have been on the rise lately. Good luck finding one for £150 that isn't a complete pos

Considering the condition of the GE engine in question, I would agree with J_jza80 about the £500 mark for the engine. If that £1000 includes the rad and aux parts then I could see how this might be worth near to a grand, but need a proper parts list first.

Even £500 in the real world will be a struggle in my opinion

It may be worth it on paper, if you look at what you are getting, condition etc but i still think you will struggle to get it, there just doesnt seem enough of a market/demand for them hence they can be bought so cheap

But for someone looking to build a pure show and no go car, combine it with that turquoise ridox kitted shell on facebook, or kaans shell and you have a pretty amazing show car on the road for very little money, almost less than a complete car will cost you

Edited by berg (see edit history)

You need an NA-T'er to have a blow up really, ie an event that forces someone's hand......else there is no urgency to have a spare or upgrade like there might be for a TT engine.

At the cheaper prices someone may just buy it for the 'what if' scenario but at this sort of asking price you have a long wait unless you get lucky from someone else's bad luck :)

Saying that best of luck! :D

In my opinion the engine is worth the money easily given the fact that it might be the cleanest GE in the UK.

Might be a longer wait for the right buyer as a lot of people don't appreciate the condition of parts enough these days.

It's true that a GE can be had for a lot less, but the pictures of those 150pounds engines speak for them selves. I would never install such POS in my Supra.

I invested about 4 to 5000pounds alone in my GE (modified NA still non turbo and will always be) and no way would I let it go below that.

On a sidenote I have to agree that I might never find a buyer, but I won't sell anyways :)

Dad is not braking the car he's is having an gte engine built by Srd and I know 1000 is a lot but it's everything you see there plus all the shiney bits plus the history with all the new Toyota gaskets ect

- - - Updated - - -

Yer I agree 500 for a tall block but this is everything

Lol its been a long week, my temper is short and I'm waiting to leave the office and head to the airport!

Those who know me, know I mean no harm, and every one else just thinks im a c-unit! Lol

Well my mums just had a hart attack and I'm not kicking off on other peoples thread so take your mood somewhere else please as your opinion isn't wanted

This is true but not when it's having an Srd turbo kit Syvecs 6 speed ect !

Well my mums just had a hart attack and I'm not kicking off on other peoples thread so take your mood somewhere else please as your opinion isn't wanted

Don't really think thats relevant mate tbf. Im not kicking off. Having sold 2 NA engines in the past and struggling to get £150 for them im just saying thats what i think they are worth which is what you asked isnt it?

Don't really think thats relevant mate tbf. Im not kicking off. Having sold 2 NA engines in the past and struggling to get £150 for them im just saying thats what i think they are worth which is what you asked isnt it?

Not that i don't entirely sympathise with your situation btw mate. Just so we're clear :)

I REALLY dont want to be saying this but it is probably worth more in bits :(

In my ownership it had off the top of my head-

New TCB Alternator

New OEM Water pump

New OEM thermostat

New OEM Cam belt

New OEM cam belt tensioner

New OEM Aux belt tenioner

New OEM Aux Belt

New OEM rocker Cover gaskets

New OEM plenum-runner gasket

New OEM Y pipe-throttle body gasket

New OEM Plenum to y pipe gasket

New OEM O rings in the cam covers

Some New OEM Vac lines (not all of them)

This is without the painted, smoothed and shiny bits

y pipe

Throttle body

Plenum

Cam covers

Spark plug plastics

Oil cap

Exhaust manifold cover

OEM air pipe work and air box

God that is just off the top of my head, there must be loads more. Just to put that into perspective the aux belt tensioner alone cost over £200 from memory.

I understand the value of the engine in the eyes of the beholder but I also understand the budget of most people aspiring to the N/A Supra...... genuinely NO offence intended. Let me be clear with my statement. The N/A engine is bullet proof, the only people who pop them are complete idiots who either go out their way to do so or evolution dictates that course. When such a thing happens they will, generally, then look to replace such a beast with a similar power plant for as little money as possible. When presented with a 1k option or a £150 option I can almost guarantee I know which way they are going to go.

All that being said though, the ECU is the real jewel in the crown. With what Jake has said regarding the engine I would suggest that it will be worth FAR more in bits, including selling the ECU separate, than it ever will as a package. If I was looking for an N/A I would be taking the £150 option as I would know that if it turns over and fires up on 6 cylinders..... it's bomb proof!

It's amazing how much Supra engines are going for these days but if you look on eBay people are asking prices like £600 for the 2JZ-GE from the GS300 and IS300 so considering this engine is wanting for nothing and has had loads of cosmetic work done £1000 is not really all that far off the mark. For example if you were to buy one of the ones off eBay for like £600 you'd still need to get a cambelt change before using it that would be a good few quid alone. Just my opinion though guys...

I think the days of picking one up for £150 nowadays are long gone with so many people going down the NA-T route causing more people to be looking for NA engines for a spare etc. The average person is being priced out of the GTE swap with the prices of the GTE just getting so high.

Edited by Scott-tt (see edit history)

It's amazing how much Supra engines are going for these days but if you look on eBay people are asking prices like £600 for the 2JZ-GE from the GS300 and IS300 so considering this engine is wanting for nothing and has had loads of cosmetic work done £1000 is not really all that far off the mark. For example if you were to buy one of the ones off eBay for like £600 you'd still need to get a cambelt change before using it that would be a good few quid alone. Just my opinion though guys...

I think the days of picking one up for £150 nowadays are long gone with so many people going down the NA-T route causing more people to be looking for NA engines for a spare etc. The average person is being priced out of the GTE swap with the prices of the GTE just getting so high.

I totally agree bud thank you