The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine design ideas.........

TBDevelopments

Fellow supra owners. As a few of you might know im building a large air/water intercooler system for my supra but im having a bit of a mental block with the design of the top housing.

What ever design it has to feature the filler cap.

I had thought about making a custom topcover that extends outwards and visually stretches the engine, but im not sure. Ive done a rough layout with another cam cover and some tape so use your imagination

Any better suggestions?

imageimage

You're taping a cooling system to the engine block? Erm... isn't that going to destroy the efficiency of the cooler through heatsoak?

The charge will still get most of it's cool at the expense of less engine coolant cooling, my concern is loss of air flow through the radiator?

The charge will still get most of it's cool at the expense of less engine coolant cooling, my concern is loss of air flow through the radiator?

The longer you run it, the more the heat will soak through the metal. Not an efficient solution IMO. Fine for drag racing I guess!

But yes that's also going to need serious redesigning of the ducting. The question is: why?

The longer you run it, the more the heat will soak through the metal. Not an efficient solution IMO. Fine for drag racing I guess!

But yes that's also going to need serious redesigning of the ducting. The question is: why?

It's not the air getting into first the charge-cooler pre rad and then into the engine rad, it's the having not much space to get out because theirs a slab aluminium in the way.

In the good old days, we used to do this in the winter with a piece of hardboard to prevent airflow and increase under bonnet and engine coolant temperature to keep your feet warm, however not the best idea with an engine that will be generating at least twice the stock amount of heat on a summers day.

It looks the nogs dobblies, and I'm not weeing on bonfires, yet surely I cannot be the only person that understands that you can only get in through the front, same as what can get out of the back?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Only heard of using an additional rad on mid-engine cars that need ram-air effect (MR2 where you got the idea, per chance?) but interested to see how you package it all up front. Can see benefit among the many potential pit-falls...

Charge-cooler induction systems have pre-radiators, that's how they work, it's not rocket science.

I have two Jaguar 3.4S pre-rads on mine, they're a perfect fit and provide 2 stage cooling to match the 2 stage charge cooler and leaves 50% cold air flow for engine radiator and air con radiator and has open clearance at the exit via twin electric fans.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=19409&d=1303979938

attachment.php?attachmentid=131520&d=1303770208

I don't suffer from the chavtastic desire to hide under bonnet components, yet don't like induction and forced air installations that look like some of the soil pipe and assorted plumbers nightmares found behind poorly installed public toilets and I also don't like to encourage boost lag, so the air "plumbing" on mine is virtually non existent because the design has made it redundant and the water plumbing is hidden at the back. Mine has a swirl pot with rad cap and expansion bottle, which keeps the height of the build down and clears any air from my imperfect (typical design) water plumbing installation.

A high flow Bosch electric pump is located at the lowest point in the water plumbing circuit and Bob's your Dad.

At 1.1 bar of boost my induction temp is ambient, and will be below ambient at the next mapping now that I have sorted out the Gremlins from the Water/ meth system. :)

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=21536&d=1346452991

My Anti-lag Supercharged, Anti-lag Charge-Cooled and Anti-lag Flappy-Paddle Shifting Supra, is the Antichrist or "Abortion" for the Turbo-lag with Inter-Cooler-lag and Manual Transmission-lag Religion. :D

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=22556&d=1371987923

Function with form as best can be on a shoestring, with use of my literally in the middle of a field workshop, working alone on a daily driven car for the entirety of the build and development. Other than the angle grinder, welder and trolley jack, all the tools used for the job are in the pic.

My special tool box doesn't roll over in the boot either. :D

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=22541&d=1370911507

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Ive used chargecoolers on cars for years.

I want to run active cooling aswell from the aircon circui to get the coolant close to 1-2 degrees.

The radiator exit air was my only concern but testing will tell, there should be a 3" gap, but worse case ill just build a custom radiator and sink it further into the nose by 4-5"

Im only going for a fast responce 550 so the chargecooler system is massively overkill anyway. But its a buisness demo so good to show different approaches to things.

Out of curiosity, is there a black art to charge cooler design?

I may need to upgrade the uprated side mount intercooler on mine at some point. Would it be feasible to convert my SMIC into a chargecooler, and run a small coolant rad in the opposite vent in the bumper?

I want to keep my active spoiler, so fmic isn't an option.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

All charge-coolers have pre-radiators, that's how they work, it's not rocket science.

I have two pre-rads on mine.

Congratulations Dave. No need to get the claws out.

What I meant is it seems overkill when you've already got a massive rad in the ideal place, so it's creating a packaging issue that doesn't exist.

Congratulations Dave. No need to get the claws out.

What I meant is it seems overkill when you've already got a massive rad in the ideal place, so it's creating a packaging issue that doesn't exist.

There was no clause in my remark. :)

Is your second sentence an agreement with my input, or a comment not including me?

I really like the idea and what your doing Tim but my only negative bit is that it ruins the look of the 2jz. Unless it's going in a race car to where it's more the case of function over looks then fine.

Sorry to be negative mate as I hate to go on people threads to be like that as your put a lot of hard work into your builds but maybe a change of position or design may be a key (if it can be changed that is)

Good luck with it and keep all your mad inventions coming

Only just seen this, and excuse me for asking daft questions but I cant see an inlet/outlet for the airflow? ii can see the water inlet/outlet but....

Also surly the design is not going to function as a air/water as there is no way for air to flow through it, no sure why its directly in front of the engine,

as this would mean removing for access to belts/tensioners etc, it would also pic up radiant heat from the engine, and would also block airflow through the rad.

Would you not be far better off downsizing it and fitting it in the original IC position, and fitting its remote rad on the opposite side, that way you could make the best of both air an water cooling but at the expense of longer pipe runs, I would have thought a filler cap design/position is pretty low down on the list, in the scale of things.

Fellow supra owners. As a few of you might know im building a large air/water intercooler system for my supra but im having a bit of a mental block with the design of the top housing.

What ever design it has to feature the filler cap.

I had thought about making a custom topcover that extends outwards and visually stretches the engine, but im not sure. Ive done a rough layout with another cam cover and some tape so use your imagination

Any better suggestions?

Not a fan of the extended engine cover, I'd keep the CC separate.

Will you be fitting a heat shield between the CC and engine?

Where will you be mounting the CC rad? Just wondering if you could use the standard SMIC ducting and fit a rad in it's place or perhaps a rad mounted/ducted in each of the bumper side vents.

Only just seen this, and excuse me for asking daft questions but I cant see an inlet/outlet for the airflow? ii can see the water inlet/outlet but....

Also surly the design is not going to function as a air/water as there is no way for air to flow through it, no sure why its directly in front of the engine,

as this would mean removing for access to belts/tensioners etc, it would also pic up radiant heat from the engine, and would also block airflow through the rad.

Would you not be far better off downsizing it and fitting it in the original IC position, and fitting its remote rad on the opposite side, that way you could make the best of both air an water cooling but at the expense of longer pipe runs, I would have thought a filler cap design/position is pretty low down on the list, in the scale of things.

Those are the bare cores of the air to water heat exchangers, he's not put the end tanks and air inlet / outlet stubs on yet.

The turbo outlet will flow in one side and the heat exchanger will outlet cold air the other side.

One core will feed the other.

Those are the bare cores of the air to water heat exchangers, he's not put the end tanks and air inlet / outlet stubs on yet.

The turbo outlet will flow in one side and the heat exchanger will outlet cold air the other side.

One core will feed the other.

I am having trouble trying to visualise it, unless that is the inner? as there seems to be nowhere for the airflow around the core if that's what it is, looks nothing like any other CC I have seen.