The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Filters...??..

a98pmalcolm

Hey all sorry a boring one... :innocent:

I have Googled my question but people do change opinion and I could really find a straight answer.

So....

I know an oil filter is just an oil filter but there are ones with better flow and quality ect.

I have been using the white K&N ones for a few years but the rubber seal on the one I have leaks a little, and I have had to make it tighter and tighter. So it has kind of put me off a little.

I have read about TRD ones and V8 OEM ones.. But I have seen HKS and blitz ones too.

I was wondering what would be the best to use especially as I'm at the 750bhp area..

Thanks

Paul

As far as I'm aware don't most people just use Stock?

I have always run OEM Supra ones, and my recent service at SRD Lee fitted a larger Toyota Genuine one, think this is what your referring to as the V8 one?

I'm only at BPU so maybe not comparable to your power levels, but for reference sake I thought I would chime in.

I've tried to find a post about this from Chris Wilson a while ago, but couldn't find it. He explains it better than I can. IIRC the gist was that bigger is not always better. If you're running serious power upgrades like the OP, that might change things, but if you're running stock or BPU power, I'd keep to OEM Supra filters.

Apologies to the OP, a bit of a hjack there.

FRAM, Coopers, Crosland, Blue Print, Toyota, any branded one correct for the engine is fine. Hell, my Skyline engine was built on all new parts, top to toe, but I buy the cheapest branded oil filters for it available at any given moment. Nothing bigger, "better", or in a shiny box, just branded and correct for the application. I change oil and filter every three full track days or every 10,000 miles or every year in a road car. People waste a fortune on too frequent oil and filter changes.