The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ignition cut limiter on standard twins

jumpbike

Might sound a bit odd but basically my 2jz is swapped into something a bit novelty and purely for random display showing off purposes I thought about installing a Bee-r or something so I can make the noisy bastard fire popping sounds but i'm only on the standard twins using an external wategate and a complete 3" exhaust with a single box.

I've never used one and I'd never use it for more than a couple seconds on rare occasions but was just wondering if anyones heard it done on standard twins or any thing?

thanks,

Single turbos are better at taking the abuse in my experience, had one on my na-t which was a laugh and caused no issues

Although my mate has one on his BPU supra on stock twins and its been on the car since he bought it 2 years ago, and was on there god knows how long before that

If you abuse it you will likely break it, play safe and you could be lucky like my mate

I find this topic is a similar story with w58 gearboxes, people are too quick to tell everyone they will break it at 400hp, just because they read it on the internet which is strictly not true

Its how you use it

Forcing important components to be under unnecessary stress imo for no gain.

I bought one way back for my old NA to reduce the rev limiter and solely for that purpose, this was due to the new ECU having a higher rev limiter which I did not want. In the end I never fitted it due to all the horror stories.

The cherry on top of the cake was going to an event at POD and a crowd begging to form around a very nice R33 GTR iirc, cameras came out, and sure enough the flames and Bee*R Banging began.

Ended in a cloud of smoke and oil being blown out though one of the breathers all over the bay. The owner was laughing and seemed completely un-phased and replied with it normally does that when bouncing it on the ignition cut. :blink: I promptly returned to my beer and BBQ.

How do you have standard twins and an external wastegate?

With a lovely branch out pipe coming up and over from the centre of the manifold, works well, custom made Y pipe so its not as restrictive and the smallest the exhaust gets is 3".

All just helping the terribly bad flowing standard manifold breath a little easier.

Mixed opinions it seems, majority advising against, so I will probably ignore it. I think the novelty of a 400hp land cruiser is enough for most people anyway :eyebrows:

thanks for the answers

There are plenty of threads on the Skyline forum about BRs killing engines, basically because of the way the BR works it randomly sends grounding pulses to the coils/dizzy etc which results in firing both before and after the original correct firing time, so it can result in fuel igniting in the manifold or turbos, which wont do them any good, or worse causing pre ignition/knock, I wouldn't touch one if you paid me.

With a lovely branch out pipe coming up and over from the centre of the manifold, works well, custom made Y pipe so its not as restrictive and the smallest the exhaust gets is 3".

All just helping the terribly bad flowing standard manifold breath a little easier.

:Pics:

Only decent pic I have at the mo as all on my other phone, its been done for nearly 2 years but had a few issues due to someone thinking a SAFC was a good idea until all the pistons detted to death.

I'll make a mini project thread when I get time just to show my vision of a 4x4 supra

This was when it was first finished, looks pretty much the same now but with wiring tidied etc.