The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The BPU to TTC to Single Progression With Graph Read Outs

a98pmalcolm

I've had facebook messages an PM's over the years so I thought it was about time that I made a little graph dyno read out thread showing the progression of different power stages..

As you all know if you were to the exact mods I have done over the years your results will be different but, I hope this thread will guide people on what they need to do to achieve there power goals. Or you may just like looking at graphs as we all do :D

So I have spent a few hours digging out, scanning the graphics, resizing them and typing this up.. I have typed out the basic mod list needed to achieve the power I did, so no clutch, brake or anything like that in the specs. I'm also going of memory lol.

Here we go:

Spec:

OEM 2JZ block and head.

6 Speed Manual

264 9.3mm Whifbitz Road Cams

AEM Water Cooled Injection

Fuel Pulsator Bypass

Blitz Boost controller

Double De-cat

HKS Exhaust

Cone Filter

255 Walbro pump

Power at flywheel - 406.2 bhp

After this it was time for my next big thing so after I have been reading Syvecs ECU was the safe and future proof side of things.

Upgrade:

Syvecs ECU

NTK L2H2 (LZA-09-E1) Wideband Lambda Sensor

Ryan reassured me that TTC was the way forward on a ECU with a good map, even though I had run TTC on a stock ECU and thought it was absolutely awful I gave him the benefit of the doubt and he wasn't wrong. TTC when mapped to syvecs felt great, and great is an understatement. Look at the power curve in the graph below and you will see how nice it is on TTC.

The 1st graph is wheel power at 363.3 bhp. The following graph is 433.6 bhp which is flywheel power. So in this case we see about about a 20% loss through drivetrain. Very surprising....

At this stage Ryan explained that the j spec injectors (440cc) were now restricting me from getting more power... So without further ado the hunt began for some drop-in injectors.

I came across some 680cc SARD injectors and fitted them in.

Upgrade:

680cc SARD injectors

This could have been the base map Ryan e-mailed over or one he used to test the injectors, I'm not really sure.. But it was the 1st run

382.3 bhp

And then the main run, and what an outcome on Stock J-spec turbos

455.5 bhp

Ryan an I were very happy with the car. It felt great, syvecs traction worked flawlessly. And was extremely smooth delivery..

But was we all get, it didn't take long for the thrive for more power and on the off chance I was messaging JamieP about something, I cant remember now. But he bought to mention he maybe breaking the black beast... So... I called dibbs on some items if he does :eyebrows:

So sadly we saw that car break but in the bigger scheme it improved many other cars.

Upgrade:

Precision Turbo 6766 DBB

Whifbitz twin waste gate manifold

Twin turbo smart 42mm Wastegates

4" downpipe

Whifbitz 4" midsection

AKS connections and adjustments

Still using HKS super silent back box

NGK grade 8 plugs

As we can see below a 18% loss through drivetrain

550.9 bhp.@ Wheel

649.4 bhp @ Flywheel

We were hopping bigger figures but with Jamie running well over 1000bhp in the black best he had stronger wastegate springs causing issues

So as normal I rush to sort everything out, knowing that theres more power with the wastegate issue resolved. I got on the phone to Paul and ordered the stock 7PSI springs

I also had Pauls uprated coil packs

Upgrade:

7PSI waste gate springs

Whifbitz coil packs

The result, better :)

680.9 bhp @ Flywheel

At this point the 680cc injectors were restricting any more power.

680 bhp I was happy to stay at but I wanted to have the big polished inlet, top feed injectors with a snazy fuel rail etc. Mainly for show to finish off the engine bay, but it would be rude not to go for bigger injectors right? :D

Upgrades:

SRD plenum inlet manifol

SRD fuel lines

Whifbitz fuel rail (had it resprayed in bayside blue ;))

ID1000cc injectors

Fancy pants Q45 TB from the gold rush supra

Mishimoto Alloy Radiator

Walbro Fuel 450 Pump

Aeromotive fpr

As Ryan has moved from the country it was easier to have someone with the car while mapping, I came accross a very helpful chap called Romain who also works for syvecs and we has a nice result.

646.9 at the wheels

We didn't have a flywheel number but Romain agreed we would see about a 17% loss though drivetrain so approx 755 bhp at the flywheel.

Judging by previous read outs 17% would be about correct.

Well that's it. I hope some of you find this useful or enjoyed reading, took me bloody hours to do and remember the mods ect.

Thanks for looking

Paul

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

great write up, really helpful this and great food for thought which is handy for people like me who don't know which way to go at present!

As Jay said if you can be arsed it would be great to see all those results trended in Excel table with a graph showing each power band color coded :) lot of work though :(

Be good for you to do a table of results, comparing power increase so you could see the increments changing with adjustment components. Be clearer than listing the dyno themselves.

Good work mate, great write up. I want to see a nerd table of stats because this information here is great! Can't beat data.

Makes me feel proud to be a supra owner to see a follow driver actually using data and not saying "approx ###bhp". Hate seeing that, mainly on FB!

This is massively useful! Trying to spread out costs and work out if it was actually worth putting a Syvecs in while still on OEM turbos. Certainly looks like it would be if I updated fuelling a bit as well. Also means if I later go full retard single turbo, I already have the ECU.

Great read that as others have mentioned.

It's interesting that the response has improved, as you would have expected it to go the other way.

Super bit of reference material ;)

I can't see the pictures so I'm not sure which graph you are referring to but if it's the last one that one was TDI where it uses a hub dyno. They allow more initial load as I understand it which makes the result more comparible to the actual road. More load on the engine means more work which leads to boost coming on earlier :)

1.7 mate

I only ever had it TTC on syvecs never had it on sequential with syvecs bud

Ahh okay, and did you prefer the syvecs ttc to the normal sequential?

I asked Ryan G a while back mate if he could map a car on Syvecs keeping the sequential setup. It can be theoretically done, but he advised would be a right PITA and TTC was a much better option anyway. Don't think I've seen anyone running a sea setup with Syvecs although am sure Chris Wilson said someone was running a Motec on a seq setup.