The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello, New Irish Member

Chriss

Hi, I am Chris from Dublin, Ireland. I have always driven JDM motors and am a big fan of the Supra since before the gran turismo and F&F films. I am working my way up the ladder as I started with a Honda Civic, then moved onto the Mitsubishi FTO and I am currently driving a 1997 Toyota Chaser Tourer V which I imported from Japan 3 years ago. Since I have always wanted a Supra and have seen how prices have recently risen on the R32GTR since it became importable to the USA, I think now is the best time to buy before the inevitable hike in prices. I am going to sell my Chaser and import an Rz or Gz from Japan.

Here is a picture of my current car.

I joined with paid membership as the forum looks like a great resource with knowledgeable people.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Chris, if you take a drive in one, you will then will be hooked, thats how i was caught!

Imported one last year from Japan, so worth it having one so clean and unmodified

Make sure you get a clean straight shell anyway, if you dont got that it will eventually haunt you, like my first one did to me! Ther such class cars, you have to have it perfect!

I can never understand how people sell them and give up owning one!

The tax though here is pathetic, something has to be done about, damn near 1500 for a car that uses the roads on a Saturday or Sunday or the odd night!

Anyway have fun on the search, my only advice Manual!

Thanks all.

Nice motor bud i would like that as a daily :cool:

what motor you have inside?

It is a great daily, 1JZ GTE. Great power and room for the family. I want a supra because it looks great and the dash is driver focused. I dont know how the power delivery will be on the Supra twins compared to the Chaser single Turbo.

• 3 months later...
I just bought a Supra, a 1995 NA Auto, Imported to Ireland in 1997 and its a one owner car so is in great condition. I am still in work and only got the car a few hours ago so will give more info when I have it.

Nice, Congrats. Hope you have many safe and happy miles in it :-)

those brakes really need an upgrade, so I might do the LS400 conversion. get a nice lip spoiler and change the wheels. I think I will try out the stock engine for a few months, Then when I am after power look into an NA/t or 1JZ conversion.

SO I have had a few days to look over the car, with the sun out I can see the paint has some blotches of fade that were not noticeable when I was buying so I will give it a going over with a machine polisher, there looks to be a patch on the bonnet where bird sh*t was left for years and is rough so it might have rusted under, the sills where the car would sit on axle stands are completely flattened on both sides which is weird. Being an NA the car lacks ABS, traction control and airbag but the car is a A01B so has a torsen lsd and it has KYB suspension all round. exhaust is standard so I may delete to first cat to improve the sound a bit. The interior is nice with no cracks and I will have to find a good product for the interior leather/vinyl. The steering wheel and shifter are a bit worn but I can sand them down and use dye to repair. The rear antenna is snapped off however the motor still runs when the radio is turned on, very annoying but lucky the dealer gave a new antenna so I might install it just for the looks and just not plug the motor in. That is all I can see wrong with it, the car really has a lot of character and forces you to love it.;)

Edited by Chriss (see edit history)

Good you finally got one!

Its a work in progress then so buy the sounds of it, but you will have fun and learn alot with it!

Get her looking great first then maybe go down tge engine swap route if your after power!

Hopefully my insurance is all sorted for next year and I can go to a few meets and meet the few Irish owners ther are!

Good you finally got one!

Its a work in progress then so buy the sounds of it, but you will have fun and learn alot with it!

Get her looking great first then maybe go down tge engine swap route if your after power!

Hopefully my insurance is all sorted for next year and I can go to a few meets and meet the few Irish owners ther are!

Thanks, looking forward to it. I have already put in a new antenna unit and wired it up in work so at least that is out of the way, the bonnet will need a full respray and I have a front strut brace in for the car which I will install tomorrow. Cant wait to actually drive the thing.

Quick question, is it a common problem for the dash light panel to the right that usually shows the check engine light to not work, it didnt work when I bought the car and if it is a common problem what is the common fix?

this panel is the one not lighting up when i turn the car on.

the sills where the car would sit on axle stands are completely flattened on both sides which is weird.

Not really, you need the Toyota jack to jack it up or a "hockey puck" protection thingy or else the sills get squashed by any trolley jack. Not too sure about the CEL, maybe its just the bulb thats gone. Easy enough to remove that part and check though.