The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PT 6870 gen2 vs 6466 gen2 shootout to 5000rpm

GlennK

Guys, I need to decide on a smaller faster spooling turbo or a bigger top end one...All the dynos I see for the 6870 show they only make 430whp at 4500rpm...my old BW366 made that at 3900rpm...So has anyone got a dyno for the 6466 showing if it can beat that to 5000rpm?

Cheers.

It's only because of the high stall and the fact the dyno doesn't load the car like the road

The hub dyno will give an accurate power curve and now has a stock TC

1.00ar is perfect

Chris, yes it does thanks.Looks like it makes around 248 hp at 4200rpm? what boost were you running?

Did you consider a 0.81 A/R?

Mine peaked at 1.7 bar and wouldn't run higher, but that may be down to large pipework and a very efficient engine as I think the Baileys had higher boost spikes a while ago. Do you want me to dig out the ethanol graph for mine Glenn? Bit more lively with a 60% mix and was done straight after the run Lee already posted

Mine peaked at 1.7 bar and wouldn't run higher, but that may be down to large pipework and a very efficient engine as I think the Baileys had higher boost spikes a while ago. Do you want me to dig out the ethanol graph for mine Glenn? Bit more lively with a 60% mix and was done straight after the run Lee already posted

I remember Lee saying ours used to spike abit im 2nd gear, so he took some boost out of it to control the boost a touch.

I remember Lee saying ours used to spike abit im 2nd gear, so he took some boost out of it to control the boost a touch.

I thought I remember a thread appearing when you had a slight issue causing the boost to spike. Think it was the boost solenoid or map sensor or something? May be just making the whole thing up in my head but I'm sure at the time my first thought was "maybe I can run more boost!?" Lol

I thought I remember a thread appearing when you had a slight issue causing the boost to spike. Think it was the boost solenoid or map sensor or something? May be just making the whole thing up in my head but I'm sure at the time my first thought was "maybe I can run more boost!?" Lol

Ahh yeah the Peirburg boost solenoid failed and got stuck in the open position, allowing the turbo to make as much boost as possible hence why we kept having a kangaroo effect, we would make boost then loose all boost because the Syvecs noticed a fault. We kept popping intercooler pipes everytime we came on boost, it got that bad we split the silicone joiner and blew the arch liner to pieces! luckly the Syvecs had a boost cut at 2bar otherwise it could have ended very badly for our engine!

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

Ahh yeah the Peirburg boost solenoid failed and got stuck in the open position, allowing the turbo to make as much boost as possible hence why we kept having a kangaroo effect, we would make boost then loose all boost because the Syvecs noticed a fault. We kept popping intercooler pipes everytime we came on boost, it got that bad we split the silicone joiner and blew the arch liner to pieces! luckly the Syvecs had a boost cut at 2bar otherwise it could have ended very badly for our engine!

Been there . Done that. Blew the IC lower pipe a few years ago. Ryan recorded a big spike of around 2.5b or slightly more I think. It was an impressive dyno up till that point though :D

You cannot compare the 6466 with a 6870 turbo Glenn.

200 bhp difference in peak power will move the tq curve to the right.

You're correct- but if it moves to the right by 1000+rpm then for my track application it may be hard work to keep it in the power sweet spot - particularly as I'm running the SRD autobox...paddle shifting all the time means my fingers will tire out before the race ends...:rolleyes:

Very honestly : I doubt a 6870 is suited for track applications.

It's a 1000+ monster ; rolling races and half mile events are its domain.

- - - Updated - - -

If tracking my Supra, I would go for a 6466.

Personally, I don't know why you'd need anything bigger than a 6266 gen2 in a road car, big power and a decent powerband.