The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil relocation kits... GOOD or BAD

TRD3000GT

I have had one fitted for 9 months now and Im slightly adverse to if it was worth it!

My engineers love it because it makes the oil change SO easy and they dont get burned on the engine But Im considering removing it and just installing My power extreme filter to the stock location.

What is the verdict on these units?

I want to know what Terry S , C Wilson and any other gurus think ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Terry S

The GReddy one is shite. A properly done one is a great idea. The last thing you want to do is create more of a restriction. Relocation would be a good chance to engineer a bigger filter in. Maybe I'll get around to putting a kit together one day.

Guest Usmann A

I also agree with Mr.S, Greddy ones are utter garbage. They come with crap push on fittings, which always leak, the people I know with one on, have always had to add more clips to stop leakage.

There is someone on SF who has made one, or I think Anarkey(derek) has done one, not sure tbh ... but look into it.

I have kinda specced one out,as was going to use it on my dads car, using the greddy hubs, with a bit of tinkering allowing proper Aeroquip fittings,and slight bigger piping. But im sticking with stock.(it works, and just pop the battery off to get to it) :eyebrows:

HTH

So what was the make of the kit you used then Paul? Do you have the pressure drop for the filter please???

The one that I have put together here - you can order it online and I do accept credit cards Tel :)

http://miami-gt.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=341f4bf73ba7ed6b1cb31af3442cd215&keywords=oil&osCsid=341f4bf73ba7ed6b1cb31af3442cd215

Couldn't discern a drop at all according to my gauges once fitted - I am sure that there will have been one - but nothing major. And that was through oil relocation and oil cooler set-up

Guest Terry S
The one that I have put together here - you can order it online and I do accept credit cards Tel :)

http://miami-gt.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=341f4bf73ba7ed6b1cb31af3442cd215&keywords=oil&osCsid=341f4bf73ba7ed6b1cb31af3442cd215

Couldn't discern a drop at all according to my gauges once fitted - I am sure that there will have been one - but nothing major. And that was through oil relocation and oil cooler set-up

Jeez........well you keep looking for a filter pressure drop on your oil pressure gauge Paul :banghead: :rolleyes: Honestly, sometimes.......

Jeez........well you keep looking for a filter pressure drop on your oil pressure gauge Paul :banghead: :rolleyes: Honestly, sometimes.......

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but by filter pressure drop I assume you mean the pressure drop across the filter? In which case why would it be any different from stock since you are just relocating the standard filter? As long as overall oil pressure is OK I can't see the difference from using an oil cooler for example, which you will certainly need if doing track days etc with higher than normal boost.

So long as the connectors are OK and don't leak I can't see a problem with coolers or remote filters. I can't think of a race or track car without an oil cooler, a remote filter is just an extra bit of hose.

BTW, I have the GReddy relocation thingy, and while I agree the hoses and connectors aren't great and should be proper threaded unions, the actual take-off and remote plate are OK. Mine has never leaked - I did change one of the hose clamps that was a bit dodgy before fitting though. I'm going to change it, but mainly to add a thermostat and cooler. You can get all the stuff you need from Mocal, via their distributer Think Auto. The take-off plates, coolers, remote filter heads etc are not too expensive, the main cost is for decent hose and connectors. Moquip hose (which is the same spec as Aeroquip but a bit cheaper) still works out around £20 a meter IIRC. You can get them to swage the connectors on for you so no chance of leaks.

Guest Terry S

Yes Simon you are missing the point. Whilst there probably isnt much difference to a stock filter with these relocation kits, the last thing these engines seem to need is more pressure, hence my comments about re-engineering a relocation kit to accept a bigger filter.

If you have ever recorded the peak Oil Pressure on these cars you will know what I mean. This is the reason that we modify the oil pump on big HP cars.

Guest Terry S
Simon - precisley m8

Of course we all have huge engines that require bigger filters - NOT!

Must check out Dude's re-engineered oil filter system! :blink:

Is that Dude that was blowing FMS until I sent him the fix! And it's only "huge engines" ( BTW they are all the same size ;) ) that have blown FMS's is it?

really Paul, we are trying to move Supra tuning on here. I wish you could understand the complexity of the engine a bit better. Chris asked me for a tech response. I said IMHO that a better filter would be a benefit. I hopefully have backed that with a little tech insight.

I cant be bothered to argue with you Paul, really, I just wish you could understand things from a Technical perspective, rather than a financial one.

PMSL - sometimes Terry you could argue in an empty room!

So Chris' needs a re-engineered oil filter relocation kit because of the size of his engine?

You have no point to make...the Greddy's are not good - fact. Mine are OK and have worked well on mine and a few others - fact.

I think it is you that needs to move on Tel...

I also agree with Mr.S, Greddy ones are utter garbage. They come with crap push on fittings, which always leak, the people I know with one on, have always had to add more clips to stop leakage.

Totally agree Usmann, the Greddy fitting are not only crap, they are DANGEROUS and nearly cost me my life

[thread=7550]See this thread for the story[/thread]

edit: I have an HKS R-Spec Oil Cooler fitted now that includes filter relocation. The HKS one use proper threaded fittings that are far superior.

Is that Dude that was blowing FMS until I sent him the fix! And it's only "huge engines" ( BTW they are all the same size ;) ) that have blown FMS's is it?

Hi Terry, what is the FMS issue fix? I remember Leon also had this problem and was modifying oil pumps to try and resolve. Also remember reading about modified seal retainers somewhere.

Mocal seem to be the people who have the right stuff. Even ther very good oil coolers come in at £150 ! Thats tons less than a Greddy / HKS or Blitz and from what Im seeing it seems to be MUCH better quality!

I guess a V HIGH qualiy piece of kit which comprises of Oil Cooler , Remote filter heads and the briaded lines and all aero quip fittings would be £350!

That seems like a pretty damn good price to me!

I might even go ahead and do this before the summer.

C.

Yes Simon you are missing the point. Whilst there probably isnt much difference to a stock filter with these relocation kits, the last thing these engines seem to need is more pressure, hence my comments about re-engineering a relocation kit to accept a bigger filter.

If you have ever recorded the peak Oil Pressure on these cars you will know what I mean. This is the reason that we modify the oil pump on big HP cars.

This is very interesting for me as I was thinking of fitting one of the relocation kits but only because of the PITA problem of changing the filter. I never realised that the oil pressure increase (thats if I read that correctly) was a potential problem. In your opinion Tel, and knowing my engine specs, do you think I would benefit (or gain insurance) by using a bigger / better oil filter than stock? If so, would that mean I would need to change other bits or would an upgraded filter fit with the current set up?