The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing upper steering column but don't want new keys...

cheekymonkey

My facelift supra has a minor issue in that there is a couple of millimetres of up and down movement / play on the steering wheel, because part of the tilt mechanism isn't springing back and locking properly. Never really bothered me but it is one of those things to fix!

I've been advised that I should try and source a new column from a facelift car but I believe the ignition barrel is part of the column.

Can things be arranged so that I can replace the column but still use my existing key?

If you take the plastic cover off you can manually push the teeth further together for it to make better contact. It will go back to loose once you use the tilt lever again but it might let you live with it slightly better in the mean time ;)

Thanks mate yes that is what Whifbitz Paul suggested and it is actually fine now until I need to adjust it again. It just bugs me that I can't adjust it :)

I have never really understood why, once set to your liking, things like seats, steering column, mirrors or similar *WOULD* ever need touching again. Being in the trade I am used to driving cars with bizarre settings of electric seats, electric mirrors, heating etcetera. I have learnt from bitter experience the time you alter them is the time they decide to fail and it becomes a potential issue. So I try to leave them well alone, even if sweating like a pig, cramped up against the steering wheel, which I can barely see over, listening to some ethnic on the wireless that sounds like he's giving birth, and just wondering if there's something behind me, or if it's the diff making a noise ;)

Also, related note - any special tools required for the job? It doesn't look too hard to do but I am not sure how the upper column mates to the lower column just before it goes through the firewall into the engine area. I was told 'a few hours' labour at a garage but that seems high.

Looks like I should be able to whip the steering wheel off, unbolt the column with the 4 big bolts and it all drops to the floor. Then there is a rubber boot which I have not investigated yet!

I have never really understood why, once set to your liking, things like seats, steering column, mirrors or similar *WOULD* ever need touching again. Being in the trade I am used to driving cars with bizarre settings of electric seats, electric mirrors, heating etcetera. I have learnt from bitter experience the time you alter them is the time they decide to fail and it becomes a potential issue. So I try to leave them well alone, even if sweating like a pig, cramped up against the steering wheel, which I can barely see over, listening to some ethnic on the wireless that sounds like he's giving birth, and just wondering if there's something behind me, or if it's the diff making a noise ;)

Great stuff Chris and totally agree with you... the only fly in the ointment here is that my wife quite likes to drive the Supra and she's half my size!

Also after feeling the weight of the motorised front seat I can see your point even more!