The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Member - 2JZ Powered AC Cobra

dfrancis85

Hi all

Just signed up to the form because I'm about to start building a AC Cobra kit car which I've got a 2JZ GTE engine to install which should upset the purists :-)

I have built some pretty fast cars in the past, the last one being a 600hp Honda S2000 build thread detailed below -

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1012063-frankies-ap1-ap2-ppw-s2000-restoration/page__st__225

I appreciate I'm not a supra owner but your forum has a wealth of transferable information which I'm looking forward to using and hopefully sharing.

Yesterday I mated the 2JZ to a BMW gearbox with great success using an adapter kit from PMC Motorsport (Polish company).

After taking the engine and gearbox to the kit car company this afternoon I have decided to go single turbo. The placement of the Twins makes the engine install really tight (I hadn't realised quite how wide these engines are with the turbos bolted to it.!)

So I'm now on the look out for a new turbo and manifold, down pipe etc...

I'm also after a standalone ECU (looking into auotronic)..

IMG_6706.JPG

IMG_6707.JPG

IMG_6708.JPG

Edited by dfrancis85 (see edit history)

I did PLENTY of reading up on adapter kits and Gearboxes.

The PMC one works with the e39 530D boxes which are rated to silly levels of TQ.. It's only a 5 speed but the ratios have worked out really well with my 327 final drive.

I obviously haven't driven it yet (at least a year away from that) but the quality of the kit looked an bolted up great.

I now have a auto gearbox and twin turbos (had the steel blades upgrade) for sale which I'll post up once I get rights to do so.

Welcome. :)

Great project. Any idea on your budget for the turbo conversion etc? And are you looking for an 'off the shelf' manifold, or are you going bespoke? And what are your goals for the engine setup?

The standalone ECU of choice on this forum is Syvecs, mainly because it is feature rich, and there's a lot of information and support on it.

Thanks for the heads up...

I decided to go this route as many people have proven to run these boxes on high torque engines in both drift and drag applications but we will have to see.

Luckliy the boxes are Circa £300 so if it does let go it's not the end of the world to source a replacement. Also kit car will weigh in just under 1 ton once fully built so hoping that should reduce the strain on the drive train when launched.

Thanks for the heads up...

I decided to go this route as many people have proven to run these boxes on high torque engines in both drift and drag applications but we will have to see.

Luckliy the boxes are Circa £300 so if it does let go it's not the end of the world to source a replacement. Also kit car will weigh in just under 1 ton once fully built so hoping that should reduce the strain on the drive train when launched.

I'm sure it'll be fine and as you say, replacements should be easily had.

Diesel boxes are generally good though. I think it's rated to something like 300lbs from BMW so you can likely double that without too much worry :D

BTW, I notice you mentioned the classifieds. You have the rights to do that just now but you need to be a paid member (£10 per year or £30 lifetime) in order to post in such areas :)

I know, not going to lie I do miss that car! It had 2x features in Jap performance mag.

I just had nothing left to do for it an was offered circa 20K for a 15 year old car so was time to move on..

I then got a B7 RS4 which was fun for about 2 weeks then missed turbo and ended up here.. :-)

Fair play I'd love a turbo'd S2000

I know, not going to lie I do miss that car! It had 2x features in Jap performance mag.

I just had nothing left to do for it an was offered circa 20K for a 15 year old car so was time to move on..

I then got a B7 RS4 which was fun for about 2 weeks then missed turbo and ended up here.

Guest Dupra TDI

Hi and welcome to the forum.

A buddy in South Africa did something very similar about 7 years ago with an RB26 ( It's swearing on here I know!) in a Cobra he built for drifting.

Good Luck with it.

A lot of people would be very untreated in the adapter kit if you could supply information for the company like emails. Phone numbers websites and costs? Good luck with the build great place to be for 2jz and there is another member building a cobra on the forum I just can't remember the user name. Love the Honda build :) pictures for the cobra please :p

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, it's good to see a vibrant community on here.. I have joned the Cobra forum but it's not quite what I'm used to and you can imagine how most people react to anything non V8 or American going into a Cobra :p

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of people would be very untreated in the adapter kit if you could supply information for the company like emails. Phone numbers websites and costs? Good luck with the build great place to be for 2jz and there is another member building a cobra on the forum I just can't remember the user name. Love the Honda build :) pictures for the cobra please :p

Here is the info for the company I used for the kit -

http://www.pmcmotorsport.com/

"Hi

Which clutch does your set up use? I'm looking for a conversion kit for my 2jz GTE to a BMW gearbox in a kit car...

Can you send me full tech specs of kit, pricing and lead time shipped to the uk?

Also and advise on which gearbox to go for considering I'm not going over 500hp and I have a 3.27 final drive.

Looking to place order ASAP just need to cost up the full conversion.

Regards

Frankie

13 JANUARY 07:53

Hello,

My set works with BMW 240mm clutch disc and pressure plate, for example from M50, M57 (e46 330D, e39 530D). I think it can hold about 500hp.

We recommend M57 gearboxes for this conversion.

Adapter with screws is for 199GBP, flywheel with crankshaft bolts for 275 GBP. Shipping to UK about 9 GBP"

My set was designed on M57 530D e39 clutch disc and pressure plate. Works also with e46 330D M57. This is the best clutch set I can recommend. For 6speed box You can use E46 M3 420g Getrag. This gearbox also fit to my adapter.

Welcome. :)

Great project. Any idea on your budget for the turbo conversion etc? And are you looking for an 'off the shelf' manifold, or are you going bespoke? And what are your goals for the engine setup?

The standalone ECU of choice on this forum is Syvecs, mainly because it is feature rich, and there's a lot of information and support on it.

I'm probably looking to spend around 3 - 4K to convert to single..

I've previously used a GTX35 on the S2000 which great results so am likely to source another..I will just look to source a 2nd hand one this time rather than the £1800 last time!

I figure at least £1200- £1500 for manifold, this issue I have is that there really isn't much width to the cobra engine bay at the rear firewall. Basically the foot well comes into the engine bay (toasty feet!) so it limits the space you have for a manifold / turbo..

To give you an idea, hear is photo of another cobra bay (not an AK like mine).. You can see on the V8 manifold that all 4 branches collect together centrally and then go straight out the side just behind the wheels.. Therefore I think I'm going to need to build a custom manifold and down pipe around the car placing the turbo lightly further forwards than normal with the down pipe taking a 90 and going straight out the side into a side exit exhaust. Whatever manfold I end up with I'm 100% going to need to get it properly ceramic coated (and turbine housing)..

ECU wise I'm currently looking at Adaptronic... features i need are traction control (abs sensors), launch control and enough outputs for a digital dash (toucan style cluster).

It look great for the price -

http://www.adaptronic.com.au/product/e440d/

If anyone has experience with these ECU's then please speak up.

shelby09.JPG

You may find some of the Chinese cast manifolds fit the bill, compactness wise, or the Whifbitz log type manifold. Interesting project, welcome to the forum. if you have the diesel BMW gearbox ratios listed to hand I am curious as to what they are, I am looking to the future if I break a Volvo gearbox in my own project.

A very electronics savvy forum member has a 2JZ running on an Adaptronics ECU, you might wish to contact him, his name is Andy Blyth

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

OK, that's great, thanks for posting that. Could be a useful box to me, I may be pestering you again for input shaft length and where the gearstick is relative to the front of the `box ;)

Supra owners take note of your diff ratio! These boxes with a direct fifth gear will be like driving a Getrag box car with 6th gear blanked off. Even more engine revs per MPH if you have a low diff ratio

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread.

I currently have the BMW 420g waiting to be transplanted into the Supra. I'm still not sure whether to go with Gryodrift or PMC for the adapter plate and flywheel.

BTW, how do you line up the transmission input shaft with the back of the crankshaft (pilot bearing)?

(I've also just noticed Gryodrift also use this picture)

...ECU wise I'm currently looking at Adaptronic... features i need are traction control (abs sensors), launch control and enough outputs for a digital dash (toucan style cluster).

It look great for the price -

http://www.adaptronic.com.au/product/e440d/

If anyone has experience with these ECU's then please speak up.

Might be worth checking the Australian Supra forums and the Toymods forum.