The mkiv Supra Owners Club

uk diff manual vs auto

buster

I have a v160 and want a uk diff would I note much difference between the manual and auto

what would the real comparison be ie, feel to drive, would the gear rpm range be ok with the auto?

3.538:1 - European Spec TT autos 93-96, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, fittings for external oil cooler*****

3.266:1 - European Spec TT 6-spds and Austria/Swiss spec TT autos, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, fittings for external oil cooler*****

I run the 3.538 diff with my V161 gearbox. I did it to get better acceleration with the 1/8th and 1/4 mile racing I do. As the ratio difference is only 8.3%, the fuel economy does not change much but theoretically gives me 8.3% more torque at the wheels. :)

I'm happy with the 3.538 ratio and have no plans to change back to my 3.266 diff any time soon.

I can tell you first hand that if you are single turbo running anything over 600 bhp with an auto diff you can spin it up in 3rd in the dry, you will be changing gear so often that although it will feel faster, but it won't be.

Plus with longer ratios you can enjoy that glorious sound a little longer ;)