The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scottish newbie

Wull

Hello everyone, I thought I'd pop in and say hello and maybe get some advice regarding a decision I'm needing to make.

The story is

Shortly once a house sale goes through I'll be on the hunt for a car that I can seriously enjoy, have a little bit of fun and mainly use at the weekends and possibly use during the week, I won't be putting lots of miles on the car but with that being said I'll use it as much as I can.

Now up until now I've chopped and changed my mind that many times that its seriously doing my head in, I've went from wanting an E46 M3, EVO, SKYLINE, newer E92 M3 etc etc.

The Supra hadn't really crossed my mind but my original intentions were to in a sense, invest some money in a vehicle and you don't really see many Supra's around. They seem to hold their money well so it got me thinking, is the Supra a wise choice??? And I do fancy something with a bit of power, but very useable.

So what do you think guys? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Finances aren't an issue but I'd like something that's reliable, I know running big power has its drawbacks but I'm getting the sense that they can handle the power no problem at all, within reason that is.

Cheers

Absolutely the right choice IMO. Unfortunately you're a little unlucky with your timing as the prices have seriously climbed over the last 18-24 months. However, the prices are appreciating due to the rarity of the models and the prestige of the car so you aren't going to lose any money.

You can pretty much aim for any power goal you wish to. The cars tend to remain reliable as long as the supporting mods are correct and well looked after. You'll easily see 700hp on the stock block without a lot to worry about and if you're willing to pile in a few £1000 more you can get a reliable 1000hp.

I genuinely don't believe there's a car on the planet that you can get so much out of reliably with the outlay remaining reasonable.

Hi Wull, back in 2009 I was in a similar position to where you find yourself and had a list of cars I wanted to buy as a powerful weekend drive. I had my heart set on an air cooled 911 and I looked at around 12 - 15 all over Scotland and the north of England and saw a lot of shiny $hite.

I then changed my sights and looked for a Skyline R32 and went to a garage in Bradford to look at one and saw a Supra in the flesh for the first time and loved to look of it. I test drove it and was instantly hooked on the power and the road presence it has.

The build quality is top notch and the reliability is fantastic for a 20 year old car (mines is a '93 TT) I can confidently say it's a keeper.

I say go for it, finding a good one is not too difficult, but don't be too fussy, the auto version has a great 'box and the JDM version is not as 'inferior' to the UK spec as some would have you believe.

I say go for it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Suprastar dj

Hi Buddy,

Evereyone on here is going to be biased towards a Supra....rightly so,ive had my current Mk4 for 12 years now and the one before for 4 years.Truly brilliant cars,timeless design and brilliant presence how many of todays cars will look as good when they are 20 years old.

Go for it mate.

Where in the central belt are you based?I'm in Alloa area

Hello and welcome to the club!

As said above these really are reliable, good looking and great ownership prospects.

If you fancy seeing a few up close and personal, we are having a Deadpool film meet on the 21st of this month at Glasgow Xscape, there will be a few about and if the weathers good you may be lucky enough to get a passenger ride in one (that's what sold me on ownership).

Let us know if you're interested and you're more than welsome to join us for food and film if you want to hang around (though that may put you off Supra ownership for life lol)