The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra prices

coza

I don't think Supra owners should ever get their hopes up that this will someday be a six figure car, it won't. If you were thinking of 'investing' in a Supra there are much better marques that will return the tidy profit you're seeking.

What you should be doing is basking in the glory you're driving a car many mainstream automotive enthusiasts so readily dismiss. The fact they wouldn't rate one over a German badge is possibly the clubs greatest asset. It keeps things affordable and traders producing and improving parts to this day.

'Investors' will garage the cars, locking them away with all the community, stories, meets, blogs and videos you enjoy on this forum everyday. I for one hope it doesn't come to that.

I don't think Supra owners should ever get their hopes up that this will someday be a six figure car, it won't. If you were thinking of 'investing' in a Supra there are much better marques that will return the tidy profit you're seeking.

What you should be doing is basking in the glory you're driving a car many mainstream automotive enthusiasts so readily dismiss. The fact they wouldn't rate one over a German badge is possibly the clubs greatest asset. It keeps things affordable and traders producing and improving parts to this day.

'Investors' will garage the cars, locking them away with all the community, stories, meets, blogs and videos you enjoy on this forum everyday. I for one hope it doesn't come to that.

I don't think people are expecting it to be a 6 figure car.

Just that prices have gone up steeply even over the last 6 months. Cars that were ten k not too long ago are now double that.

Parts are at a premium too as more and more cars are broken and hoarded......

A lot of people I've spoken to are surprised they're not more expensive, comments usually along the lines of "was that all?". It's a fun car to drive and I'll be keeping mine as long as I can afford to. Which in turn means you'd have to offer me quite a wedge to buy it, pushing the price up...

I know that in general Toyota is not that respected brand in UK, but it does have a punch in it's name in many places around the world. That's the reason why some older Toyota models does sell with very high price. For example FJ40 is a 80-150k dollar truck and of course 2000GT is a million dollar car.... Crazy money. I don't know how high will price be in the future, but if you look values of other legendary toyota's, they can climb quite high...

BTW, Supra is already almost six figure car in USA:

http://classiccars.com/listings/view/727737/1994-toyota-supra-for-sale-in-st-louis-missouri-63114

And prices in Japan has climbed fast, i don't know is Supra more expensive in Japan than in UK, but it is quite close already... I think now it is time to buy Supra if you want to have one. I didn't buy my car as an invest, i love to drive it as much as possible, but it is OK for me that my car values goes up rather than down :)

Edited by LasseV (see edit history)

I love them... but still would not pay some of the prices being asked now, especially for some that are nearing 100K miles... and as for an investment I can only see this being for stock items that collectors will pay in the future - too many have been messed around with (and believe me I messed around with them more than just about anyone on the forum :-))

Some fantastic cars being broken for parts - I think that is the saddest thing!

But what do I know...? :-)