The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Oil + Filter is recommended for BPU

binfieldx

A good modern ester based oil at 10W40 or 10W50 will work just fine, the thread is here: http://www.mkivsupras.net/vbb/showthread.php?56684-FAQ-Oil-Fluid-Interval-Capacity-Steering-Brake-Coolant-Diff-Engine

A few people have said 5W40 will start slipping past piston rings if your engine is getting on a bit. Not tried it myself so don't know :D. Check out OpieOils (trader on here) for really good prices and in my experience excellent service.

A few people have said 5W40 will start slipping past piston rings if your engine is getting on a bit. Not tried it myself so don't know :D. Check out OpieOils (trader on here) for really good prices and in my experience excellent service.

I can actually relate to this, not quite 5W40 but the previous owner of my car serviced it before i collected and i later found on the reciept he used 5W30 oil

You can see in this video on over run what it caused

Since changed to 10W50 Fuchs Titan Race Pro and it has never shown a hint of blue smoke since that day

I have been BPU++ for 3 years now and changed my oil 2 times a year over 6 month seasons I have used 3 different types of oil so far which are:

(Year 1) Millers CFS Triple Ester Fully Synthetic 10w-40 (6L)

(Year 2) Millers CFS Nano Tech Fully Synthetic 5w-40 (6L)

(Year 3) Silkolene Pro S Ester Fully Synthetic 5w-40 (6L)

No issues with any of the above..

Remember that a 5w-40 engine oil will be the same viscosity as a 10w-40 when they reach operating temperature it will only be slightly thinner on startup as it is designed to flow better in low temprature conditions.

With regards to oil filters they are much of a muchness (metal outer casing screw type with internal paper filter element) I would say Blueprint or Toyota units are fine but buying K&N units and TRD units is a waste of money.

For reference I pay £2.90 for Blueprint filters and £6.10 for Genuine Toyota filters the only diffence being you get a new copper sump washer with the Toyota filter.

Also Oil filters for NA/TT are the same and fit either (no surprise)

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

I use Silkolene 10w50 Pro S along with a K&N filter. The only reason I went for the K&N is because it has the bit for a socket/spanner at the end! Makes it 10x easier changing it. lol

I only ever screw in oil filters one hand tight and they are always easily two hands removed next time. You only need to screw these things down sufficiently so they don't leak and it only takes a little force to seal effectively on the rubber gasket.

I only ever screw in oil filters one hand tight and they are always easily two hands removed next time. You only need to screw these things down sufficiently so they don't leak and it only takes a little force to seal effectively on the rubber gasket.

Indeed.

I have only ever come across one oil filter that would not budge which had clearly been on the engine for 6-7 years and I had to hammer a screwdriver through it to get it off.

The frequency you change a Car oil filter should be enough to avoid them ever getting stuck.

the K&N is perfectly fine but it's just not cost effective for my needs although I aknoledge the benefit of the nut just in case.

It's only the difference of a few quid at the end of the day.