The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decent HID kit?

berg

Ive been using the usual eBay HID kit on my car

After 3 months one ballast stopped working so i bought a replacement pair and its been around 3 months again and one has stopped working again.

I can get it to come on but i have to fiddle with it to get the bulb to flick on.

Does anyone know of a decent premium type kit out there which is actually fit for purpose?

Not looking to spend hundreds but i want something decent that will last longer than the £15 eBay kits.

I've recently bought a Kensun HID kit after reading some good reviews. I use to sell HID kits many years ago and have to say I was very impressed with the quality of the kit when it arrived. I've had the kit fitted by an auto electrician, I was experiencing a lot of electrical gremlins with the car (an MR2) so have had a lot of the wiring replaced, previous bodges fixed, joints soldered where needed and had the HID kit connected up directly to the battery via a relay harness so it will always get a strong voltage.

One of the problems drivers experience with HID kits on older cars is that they connect them only to the cars original wiring harness and expect them to be trouble free. Old wiring and corroded connectors can cause low voltage to the HID ballasts, the ballasts need a minimum voltage to fire up the bulbs, if the voltage is too low the bulbs will either flicker or not light at all, so I'd definitely advise getting an HID relay harness (available from HID retailers, Amazon, eBay etc.) and connecting them to the battery, I'd also make sure the ballasts are securely fitted somewhere they are not going to overheat or get wet.

You could try testing yours by connecting them directly to the battery with the engine running, if they light without flickering then it may well be a low voltage problem rather than a fault with the actual HID kit.

I will be collecting the car next week so not had a chance to test them out yet, but they'll have to be better than the candlelight I was driving with before. I'll let you know what I think once I've had a chance to test them.

There are some big discounts available at the moment direct from Kensun on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=Kensun+9005

Edited by Nic (see edit history)