The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin Hybrids

neilp9876

Just been looking at these turbos...

https://www.speedforsale.com/supraparts/stu-usdm-gt28-hybrid-stock-twin-turbo-upgrade-600rwhp-sfs-mkiv-gt28usdm-p-553.html

It appears that you can run them with all the standard pipework and ECU but I may be mistaken. What appeals to me is that they can produce more power but the car remains (kind of) standard.

Why wouldnt someone upgrade to these?

You can run them with all the standard pipework yes, they look like stock twins.

However you'd still need larger injectors and extra control (syvecs) if you want to do it properly

You could run upto 1.2-1.4 bar unless the JSpec injectors are 100% duty.

The main advantage to a single turbo is that it's simpler to work on.

I'd be concerned about reliability. Besides, to get more power you'll have to upgrade fuelling. The J-Spec car won't do over 1.2 BAR, and for safety I'd pull that back to 1.1 or even 1 BAR. The UK-Spec will do 1.4 BAR in theory, but again I'd be pulling that back to give some extra headroom.

My Supra went through numerous different setups.

In2007, my euro-spec turbos (same as UK-sec) were running 1.45 bar a BPU.

1 year after having gone BPU, I installed my first single turbo (60mm). The 60mm spooled so much faster .... and the power delivery was much more impressive.

Thing is though, your setup is top of the line. All things considered, it wouldn't be much more expensive to go single.

Im glad you didn't though, nice to see people doing different things rather than just follow the beaten path :)

Yeah you are right, I don't need much to go single anymore tbh. I'm glad I decided to test the limits of the hybrids tbh, they have been on the car for 5 years now and are still pulling strong at 1.5/1.6 bar!

I've always wanted a big power supra eventually, but I'm going to be going down the big twin route and not the usual single route, again just to be slightly different (not by much though, since a few others are running that set up)