The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying advice wanted. Hold out for exactly what I want?

samdale

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for my first TT6. If I was being picky I'd want a post '97 RZ with as few miles as possible and as standard as possible.

Budget around 15k, looking to import.

Is it worth holding out for this over say a 1996 RZ-S that otherwise meets my criteria?

There doesn't seem to be too many differences. Active aero, Folding mirrors, Recaros, REAS, brakes? And obviously vvti.

Will I be miffed that I don't have any of these?

With prices climbing at the rate they are just now you'll be hard pushed to get any form of TT6 for 15k before long!

A fresh import at that spec will probably cost more than 15k nowadays anyway. Very desireable spec and not many left over in Japan with low miles, stock etc.

If you've found an RZ-S that you like the look of you could always pick that up and add the bits you're missing as you go. Vvti will be a bit difficult to add mind you :D

I would say your budget will struggle to get you a nice vvti TT6 now.

Don't get too hung up on things like the active spoiler, Recaros, etc. Look for as clean a car as your budget allows.

In fact, I'd actively avoid a REAS equipped car, because replacement parts are expensive, and very hard to come by used.

Personally, I would look for a clean, stock body, fresh import, vvti tt6. As a second option, I'd look for a non vvti facelift tt6. The facelifts look nicer, and the dashboard is a nicer design than the very basic looking pre facelift one.

non vvti facelift tt6. The facelifts look nicer, and the dashboard is a nicer design than the very basic looking pre facelift one.

When did this facelift happen exactly? Having had a look at the model differences chart on here, vvti and facelift look like they come hand in hand?

Not quite :)

Facelift started in mid 1996. Same engine and gearbox as earlier 6 speed tt's, but with the later dashboard, front and rear lights etc. Then in mid-late 1997, they switched over to vvti. The auto TT models became tiptronic at this time too.

So, all vvti Supras are facelift, but not all facelift Supras are vvti :)