The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Santa Pod Newby !

Gerry

Ok this is my problem.... I would love to have a go at a 1/4 mile, but like many I've spoken to at meets I'm very worried about making myself look a prat (OK no jokes there OK) :conf:

I see there's a dedicated Supe run at the JapFest (if we can get 20 drivers) but I also see that there's only eight brave souls signed up at the mo.

I'm sure there must be more like me out there and was thinking that if we knew there was going to be other "newbies" there you may give it a go.

I know that I'm probably more likely to put the car into a hedge on a normal road than do anything silly at Pod, but if I do go "off road" in Wilts, I won;t have an audience clapping (inc. you lot) ! :p

What do you think you budding 1/4 milers.....

Gatso

Hi Gerry

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here, but I was under the impression that Japfest was a Trackday, rather than a drag meet.

As for making a prat of yourself at Santa Pod etc. Most of the participants are far more worried about their own times than what others are doing :) Go for it, You'll enjoy it.

Hopefully sometime this year i'll be making my way up to the pod for my first 1/4 mile ever. Very exciting, can't wait. But i hear what you say Gatso. Being an auto im not gonna stall thank god, but doing a burn out for the entire 1/4 mile or slaming it into the wall is definatly a concern.

As for the track day, i wanna try this too, but im not sure with work commitments if i'll be able to attend. If so look out coz im gonna smoke you fools :p :upside:

I will be having a play at Castle Coombe this year but after seeing two scoobies and a Skyline total it last year I will be taking it steady.

As for Pod did my first run last year was a bit worried but once you have done one you can't wait to get back round for the next run. Strip seems well prepped so unless you completely muller it should be fine :D

Japfest last year was my first track experience, since then i have been back to Castle Combe for 2 "Action Days" (similar 15 - 20 minute slots to Japfest) and a full day on track and i absoloutely love it!

as long as you keep your eyes open and dont try to break any records on your out lap you will be fine and i guarantee you will be hooked :D

Agree with attilauk, as long as you don't go mad you should be fine, Castle Combe has short "run off's" on some of it's bends, so if you loose it there ain't much between you and the tyres/wall. A scooby and a Skyline sadly found this out last year:(

And a brand new Evo the year before. Who says 4WD is safer?!

:looney:

Der....

I should read the threads properly before posting shouldn't I :conf:

I was getting the Jap days at Castle Combe & Pod mixed up, my age u know !

Thanx for your thoughts on Pod, think I'll have to give it a go this year or I'll just sit there watching - feeling chicken !

As for Combe, I'll be giving that a miss, I've done it a few times before and I know that I'm to stupid for my (cars) own good.

I sit there saying to myself, Ok take it steady , but then i get out on the track and some evil twin takes over.

Did it twice in my Westfield and don't really know how I stayed on the black stuff, and once in a "classic meet" in a GT6 (u won't remember them) and was black flagged !

I was doing OK till I saw an E Type in front of me :littled:

So will be supporting you from the banks of quarry..

Unless I change my mind that is...... !

Dont panic , SUPRADIBBS will be along to offer advice soon , just listen to him carefully and do the EXACT opposite !!!!! :read:

Im hoping to do a few runs this year myself :innocent:

If the cars ready for TSC i dont mind taking passengers for the 1/4 or top speed runs but you'll have to wear a lid in case it all goes tits up and you bang your head on the cage

Dude :flame Dev

I was getting the Jap days at Castle Combe & Pod mixed up, my age u know !

Thanx for your thoughts on Pod, think I'll have to give it a go this year or I'll just sit there watching - feeling chicken !

Deffo give Pod a go, I felt 'nervous' before I went for my first blast, but its good fun and very addictive. You'll have fun.

With regard to Castle Combe, be wary, the track doesnt have a great amount of run off plus you may find you have the occasional idiot pushing you harder/faster than you want to go/beyond your limits and thats when you can get into trouble.

Best track day for novices like yourself and me would be something like Bedford autodrome where they have masses of grass run off and nothing solid to hit.

Having said that, you can easily have fun at Combe too :)