The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whifbitz Carbon Fibre Hood Struts

a98pmalcolm

More of a thread for future reference for people as there was no close up pics and whether there ok with Carbon or fibre glass bonnets.

All fitted fine and supports the fibre glass hood well, all closes with no issues :D

Paul hood struts have a real nice finish and for under £100 its a mod thats well worth it.

Excuse the unclean engine bay, but some pics :)

Thanks

Paul

Are the struts carbon then? Only ask as I've just seen some generic ones on eBay for £40

Generic?

They're pretty specific things bonnet struts. They have to align, strut length, the bonnet has to close properly, the brackets are specific, as is the force required for the struts themselves.

I've just had my own custom set done, and it took a lot of time and effort to get it all right.

Generic?

They're pretty specific things bonnet struts. They have to align, strut length, the bonnet has to close properly, the brackets are specific, as is the force required for the struts themselves.

I've just had my own custom set done, and it took a lot of time and effort to get it all right.

I got mine done at place called SGS Engineering, didnt sell them off the shelf for the supra so had to get a custom size done. Work perfectly. The carbon is a nice touch.

How much did you guys pay if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you very much for braving the weather for me! :)

I've mounted mine in exactly the same way but i'm having bonnet shut issues.

It closes fine but leaves a sizable gap on the passenger side of the bonnet. Makes me think that maybe the plate should be sand-wedged to lower the bonnet some more?

Thank you very much for braving the weather for me! :)

I've mounted mine in exactly the same way but i'm having bonnet shut issues.

It closes fine but leaves a sizable gap on the passenger side of the bonnet. Makes me think that maybe the plate should be sand-wedged to lower the bonnet some more?

Have you tightened the nut to the hood in slightly the wrong place, I.e. Further into the bracket hole if that makes sense compared to other side? I did this and the strut stopped the bonnet front latching as it caught the edge. Double check first.

Have you tightened the nut to the hood in slightly the wrong place, I.e. Further into the bracket hole if that makes sense compared to other side? I did this and the strut stopped the bonnet front latching as it caught the edge. Double check first.

I feel I may have put the brackets on the wrong side? Haha