The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra budget for an import

Guest Chris_jellyman

Guest Chris_jellyman

Hi guys, I'm currently looking for a tt6 supra imported, as there doesn't seem to be many for sale here at the moment. My budget is around £12k with a little wiggle room if I have to, I contacted an importer and they recommended at least £16k for one, is my budget unrealistic? I know supras have been increasing in value but £16k for a stock twin seems a bit high to me

Guest Chris_jellyman

I've seen a few autos and triptronics but I don't really want vvti. I haven't driven an auto but a lot of people have said they are awesome, I'll go test drive one and go from there. It's a shame I don't have enough but I need to buy in febuary due to no claims bonus, I have been using a car that isn't mine for almost two years now and I've read that no claims runs out after two years of no personal policy :/

Why wouldn't you want vvti? :conf: it's superior to non vvti, with no draw backs.

I have a vvti tiptronic, that's been converted to.use AMG paddleshifters and it's a great setup. It's currently away having a single turbo conversion done, but you're welcome to come and look at it when I get it back. I'm also in Yorkshire :)

Guest Chris_jellyman

I'd be interested in on with paddle shift, I saw one for sale on here in black with veilside skirts that looked well, even if the mileage seemed too low to be real, and after reading the sale thread it has had some missing mots and other things. Is the paddle shift conversion straight forward?

The wiring is easy as it uses mostly the stock tiptronic wiring. It's getting the paddles in exactly the right place that's the tricky part. The costs involved are a non tiptronic 3 spoke steering wheel, and the paddles. It can usually be done for £200-£300, depending on which paddles you choose.

The change in the way the car drives is fantastic.

Guest Chris_jellyman

Ah OK, well a car for sale has a steering wheel without buttons inclused. I'll pm if I go for it, any help to do with sourcing paddles and anything else you can tell me would be great

Edited by Chris_jellyman (see edit history)

Supra are now between 15-23 years old, most with serious mileage on them and good ones are becoming rarer to find so choose wisely. The Supra was a well built car but parts wear over the years/mileage and new replacement parts (the majority of which are still available to buy from Toyota) aren't cheap, you could easily plough many many £K's getting a tired car back into decent road worthy condition. Upping your budget to snag yourself a good well maintained example (that some else has put money into) will often save you money in the long run. Contact Jurgen-Jm-Imports a well respected trader on here who imports cars, he'll be able to advise you on prices.

Hi guys, I'm currently looking for a tt6 supra imported, as there doesn't seem to be many for sale here at the moment. My budget is around £12k with a little wiggle room if I have to, I contacted an importer and they recommended at least £16k for one, is my budget unrealistic? I know supras have been increasing in value but £16k for a stock twin seems a bit high to me

shamless plug but i have a white tt6 locally sale for under your budget however it does need some work,

if i was to fix the issues i wouldnt take a pennies less than £15k for it

I was in the same situation as you a year ago, I really wanted a Facelift White TT6 with a 12k budget, rang a few importers and they wanted 14k to start looking which was over budget so I settled for a Tiptronic. Paid way under budget for mine and got a nice clean example which I could mold into my own. If you really want a manual, buy an auto and convert it.

I got mine in June last year, fresh import, 1997 TT6 VVTI, £14k, imported via Torque GT [emoji41][emoji106] good guys

I second that comment about Torque GT. Got mine from there nearly 6 years ago.

Mine is VVTI tiptronic and I did Jays Flappy paddle conversion onto a Celica Steering wheel using merc paddles, it was very straight forward to do and It really is good.

Edited by jonc (see edit history)