The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Potential for new Supra at peak? - New Lexus

cered

Do you think they're likely to put it into production in one form or another?

I have noticed they've paraded this one around a lot more than most other concepts.

Sadly not :(

Very few modern concept cars have received the amazing reception the FT1 did. And Toyota just seem to be wasting it.

To me the real mkv supra was the LFA.

Toyota must have been close to launching the mkiv under Lexus brand in the first place as it was surrounded by a Lexus feel when it was launched, with Lexus branding right next to the supra when it was first launched and displayed at car shows. It pretty much looked like it was called the Lexus Supra from the way they set up the branding. The supra was also only available through Lexus branches, not Toyota showrooms.

Perhaps having made the Lexus Soarer already under the brand they felt it would be best suited to develop that platform to sit as the flagship of the Toyota brand. They had a sporty line up back then with the Mr2 and celica so it made sense. It seems like in reecent times it has been Lexus that spearheaded the sporty cars (until very recently where it looks to be changing again).

My point being that the supra was the best car Toyota could make with all of its might at the time of production. Only the same can be said of the LFA in succession from the same company. It was made with the same spirit; something I doubt can be said for the ft-1 if it ever shows its head. (Even though I love it)

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

The LFA, the FT1 that hybrid thing...could all be dubbed Supras. But they wont, Supras were sold at affordable prices unlike these. The same with the skylines...affordable and so is the GTR, it would be a stupid move by Toyota to make it a super car when its history was road going cars like the 3000gts...which just became stupid rare.

If there's a new Supra IMO it'll be the following;

Traditional front engine, rear drive

A twin turbo S6 or V8

2+2 coupe/GT styling

priced at about £50-60,000

designed to compete with similarly riced performance cars and Porsche 911s... I think it'd aim to best the 911 at a much smaller cost

There won't be a straight 6, unless one comes from BMW as part of their supposed sports car partnership. Developing a straight six from scratch for a low volume vehicle doesn't make any financial sense, when suitable Base V6 and V8 engines are already produced.

I wonder if the engineers have given it that nickname? The Ford SVT engineers gave a nickname to the 2002-2004 Mustang Cobra, and the 'Terminator' name stuck and has become legendary. :cool:

Well,

either that, or this is the new supra. Maybe the lexus branded one is the one to be revealed first. Im pretty sure I read articles about toyota buying the supra name in the recent years.

Having said that this doesnt necessarily mean the two models are going to be/look identical. Not that this looks bad. I think it looks amazing!

Quite excited.

• 1 month later...